Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

i am looking afters my daughters irish terrier who currently

i am looking afters my daughters irish terrier who currently has a urine infection and is on medication that started yesterday. She Aggie has just doen a pee and it is still showing some blood . Do i need to do anything or wait until the pills kick in ??

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years. The Expert you requested is not online and if you would like, I will be happy to assist you. I will need to ask a few questions to be able to better assist you.

Can you tell me which antibiotic you are giving?

How long has the dog been on the antibiotics?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only 2 days and they are called SYNULOX

It can take up to 72 hours for the antibiotic to take full effect. The Synulox is a good broad spectrum anti bacterial. What I do suggest to help things along is to offer some pure cranberry juice that is unsweetened and dilute it with some water and give it to the dog. The cranberry juice has vitamin C which changes the PH in the Urine and makes it a hostile environment for the bacteria to continue to grow which helps clear the infection. You can also offer plenty of fluids to help flush the urinary tract. I like to use some broth for flavor that does not have onion or garlic and dilute it with plain water to get the dog to drink more. The fluids will help. If by Monday, you do not notice any changes, then I would go back in for a recheck. They may have to change the antibiotic, because the bacterial may be resistant to it. Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to continue with you. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you will see how she is tomorrow

You are welcome! I have a dog that has a problem with UTI's and I know that it can take a couple of full days to the antibiotic to kick in. I immediately start Cranberry extract pills with her or Cranberry juice, which really seems to help. Joan