Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is a Basset-Heeler mix, 1 1/2 years old, female. She

My dog is a Basset-Heeler mix, 1 1/2 years old, female. She is really good natured but gets excited when we have company or when she meets people in the street. She lays down and rolls over on her belly and wags all over like she wants the stranger to rub her belly, but when they do she growls and barks like she's going to bite them. She stays on her back, so it doesn't seem aggressive, but the growling does. It could be that she is just excited and playing, I just don't know. How can we keep her from doing this?

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
Grabbing her and hitting her nose is probably not the best thing to do as she is already submitting and now she may be associating that with strangers coming around which means to her she gets hit or grabbed at. From that would derive more growling or eventual snapping. What I would do is ask strangers to ignore her totally until she has had time to sit up and greet them properly. You can tell them the dog is in training and you are wanting her to sit when she meets someone.

In the mean time you want to train her in a positive way so that when you ask for a sit stay she does that and is rewarded for it.

I would use hot dog slivers for training or a treat you know she really loves but will only get during training.

Eventually when people come she will sit and stay and not roll over, if she rolls ignore her totally .

The training I would use it clicker training and if she is shy of noise then rather than the clicker use your voice as a marker with just one word, "yes" this tells her she has done it right and will be getting a reward,

I will direct you to a site for clicker training that will take you step by step and to a site with video so you can see how it works.

I think in a long run training this way in short ten minute sessions a few times a day will also help boost her self esteem so she stop rolling over when greeted.

If you need more help with this hit reply, if not once you have rated my answer I would like to schedule a free follow up with you to see how things are going. If you feel you need help with a new problem please contact me via this link and ask your question. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/ Referrals to friends and family are welcomed and appreciated.

Clicker training/positive method training
http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Hello Bea,

I am just checking in to see how training is going for you.

Sally