Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My Shih Tzus Sam died March 22 of this year he was 7 years

My Shih Tzus Sam died March 22 of this year he was 7 years old. I have a 12 year old mini dachshund. She and Sam got along great. I work and she is home by herself, I am thinking about getting another male shih tzus to keep her company. Pixie and Sam got along so well, I worry that I will not be able to find another one that she can love and get along with. They never fought, Sam was very laid back. they even ate out of the same food bowl at the same time. Will it be possible to add another dog(puppy). with her being 12 I am not sure what to do.

Thanks for you advice
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

do you know how to do a temperament test on a puppy?

Sally G. :

you may be off line or have stepped away from your computer.

Sally G. :

I am going to suggest that you give any puppy you get a puppy temperament test. But keep in mind that pups often bother older dogs so it is not always a good idea to get a puppy

Sally G. :

they can stress the older dog out.

Sally G. :

You will want to be home all day so you can remove the pup from Pixie when you see she has had enough.

Sally G. :

If you are getting the puppy for you than that is fine but if you are getting it strictly to keep Pixie company I would not let that be the reason , as stated young pups can put a lot of stress on an older dog and they must be monitored together all day

Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.