Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dog is circling around whenever we go to pet her as if she

My dog is circling around whenever we go to pet her as if she wants her butt rubbed. When I comb her butt or rub her butt, it obviously feels great as she does this thing with her tongue that shows she likes it. But it is much more than just a butt rub that she appears to need. I have flea combed her and she has no fleas. She has her stool checked for parasites in the last month or so. She had a full checkup with labwork a month ago. She plays, her poops look great. Any thoughts on this?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Bella is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How is her water consumption does she drink or urinate more then normal?

Does she have a pot belly appearance at all?

Is the skin dry in the area she likes you to scratch?

Do you ever see her scratching?

Any hair loss?

Is she on flea prevention?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Candy, Before we go any further, I thought a Licensed Veterinarian would be answering my question. ?

That's no problem at all. Your question was posted in the Dog category where both Veterinarians and experienced Veterinary nurses can answer. I will opt out of your question and ask that a vet pick this up.

Best Wishes to you and Bella. Please do not reply back or it will lock a vet out from answering
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX have been a licensed vet for 15 years. I will try to help.
My first thought is that she has flea saliva allergy. I know you combed her for fleas, and you did not see any signs, but she still could have a flea issue. The fleas only go on the dog to feed. After the meal, they jump off the dog and hang out in your house or outside.
If she is allergic to flea saliva, she could have an allergic reaction from one flea bite. If I think a dog, or cat, has flea saliva allergy I rub them over the lower back. That is where the fleas like to bite as it is difficult for the pet to reach the fleas back there. If I get a reaction, with licking, sitting down, thumping the hind leg, or biting the front legs I am pretty confident I have a flea issue to contend with. If she is not already on a high quality flea preventative, like comfortis, frontline, or advantage, I would definitely start using one every 3-4 weeks.
Another possible cause is food allergies or environmental allergies.
Beef, chicken, lamb, corn, wheat, and soy are the most common food allergens. Food allergies develop over months to years. She may now be allergic to something she has eaten for years.
To determine if she has food allergies, she would need to be put on a completely hypo-allergenic diet for 6 weeks. The name of the hypo-allergenic diet is "hills z/d." It is a prescription diet and you have to get it from a veterinarian. There are no over the counter completely hypo-allergenic diets. It is only about $10-$15 more a month so it is not that bad if it fixes the skin issue. If her skin improves, then you know it is food allergies.
She could also have environmental allergies. This is called "atopy" or "atopic dermatitis." The dog's skin comes in contact with the allergens and then they are absorbed into the skin causing an allergic reaction. Your vet can do a blood allergy test to see what she is allergic to. Then, she could receive allergy shots to desensitize her to the allergens. The allergy shots are 50-75% effective. We also treat atopy symptomatically with antihistamines, shampoos, topical creams and sprays, cortisone, and immune suppressing medications.
You can try human benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 12 hours.
Over the counter hydrocortisone cream, or spray, can be use 3-4 times a day to help with inflammation.
Omega-3 fatty acids help naturally with skin inflammation and itching. "3V caps" and "Derm caps" are good brands to try. You could also try human grade fish oil. 1 teaspoon, per 10-15 pounds of dog, on the food twice a day.
Make sure your vet checked her thyroid levels as well. The thyroid gland can stop producing the required amount of thyroid hormone as they age. Low thyroid levels can cause skin issues. If her levels are low, then she can take a daily supplement to bring her levels to normal.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciate your thoughtful answer. What you say about fleas makes sense. I have 3 dogs and every once is a while ONE flea shows up on one of the other dogs, so there is certainly an occasional flea.

Bella cannot be on any of the flea preventatives. They raise her liver values. Her liver values were off the charts on one visit and I had JUST put Frontline on her that morning. My vet here in Santa Cruz, Jay Vick, didn't think it was possible, so I held off any flea treatment except cedar oil from Wondercide for 6 weeks and her liver values had returned to normal. So since there, two years now, I have only used this product from Wondercide on all the dogs. As they do not leave my property except of very rare occasions, I have a very mild flea situation fortunately.

I will start using the Wondercide directly on her back end. She is obviously VERY itchy back there .

I did run her in to the vet and they found nothing other than dry skin. Her tummy seemed sensitive and I freaked out thinking she was getting twisted tummy (torsion); I am obviously a bit paranoid. Love this dog and hate that she is now 9!! Can't believe it.

Anyway, thanks very much. I appreciate it.

That makes flea control pretty tough.
If the wondercide works for you, keep using it.
I think we are all paranoid when it comes our own pets.
I can objective with yours but only subjective with mine. : )
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.