Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Our 2 1/2 year old blue nose pit bull breaks out in an enflamed

Our 2 1/2 year old blue nose pit bull breaks out in an enflamed rash all over and his fur starts falling out in patches. He's eating ONE Sensitive Systems because his brother has a senstitive stomach. The vet ruled out his food, said this problem is environmental (central Florida) but we haven't been able to find the cause. He keeps putting him on Prednisone and Simplicef. This on/off treatment is getting pricey since we take him back to the vet every couple months only to be told "I don't know" here's the meds. We can't afford to keep doing this. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I too live in Florida and I can tell you that allergies are the number one problem we see here and this breed is particularly prone to allergies.

Can you tell me if allergy testing has been done?

How often is this happening?

How often do these flair ups occur?

What are you using for flea prevention?

Are the Pred and the Simplicef the only drugs that have been tried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After he finishes the meds he is usually fine for 2 to 3 weeks and then it flares up again.

Allergy testing has not been done

We were using Advantage Multi but haven't used it for about 4 months. He doesn't have fleas we were just using it because the dogs behind us in the adjoining yard do have fleas.

These 2 meds are all that have been tried - repeatedly.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

The first thing I want to say is that here in Florida with a dog that has allergies Flea prevention every 3-4 weeks is a must. They never go away down here and most dogs with allergies will also test positive for flea allergies. When a flea allergy is present it only take the bite of one Flea to set off a reaction. This is because they react not only to the bite but the saliva and the flea dirt left behind. I would be sure to use this on both dogs every month.

Next I would suggest allergy testing so you know exactly what the allergies are. VARL is the blood test we use and it works great . Once tested you have the option of having serum made to desensitizing him.Link

Another thing that we have been having great success with is giving 1/2 teaspoon of raw honey daily. Now you want to find a honey that is made locally so it is specific to your area and get it in raw form. I would look for a local bee keeper in your area. The reason we are using the honey is because the bees go around collecting pollen from all local plants so by giving the local honey you are introducing these allergens in a good way so the body builds and immunity to it.

As for drug therapy Atopica is the best solution we have found. Normally we give this daily for 5-7 days then taper off to 1-2 times per week . This not only works better but is safer then long term steroids.Link

For itching Oral Benadryl at a dose of 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8-10 hours.

Resicort which is a leave on conditioner is also great for allergy dogs. LINK

I hope this helps give you additional options to help PowerStroke. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer