Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

got a XXXXX XXXXX chihuahua mix...his back leg quirks uncontrollably

got a XXXXX XXXXX chihuahua mix...his back leg quirks uncontrollably at night...looks like his nerves are going off
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

If this happens when he's sleeping, then I wouldn't worry about it. In that case, it's probably just dreaming that is causing the twitching.

If this is when he's up walking, then I would wonder whether he has a luxating patella. This is where the knee cap (patella) pops in and out of the joint it sits in. This can lead to some twitching and difficulty walking.

It may also be something with the hip. There are some diseases in the hip joint that can lead to pain, twitching and difficulty walking. X-rays of the hips would rule this out. The main disease in young dogs to rule out is called Legg-Calves Perthes disease.

Hopefully this is just something he'll grow out of, but it may be worth getting some x-rays to make sure it's not too serious.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do you treat legg calves perthes
Legg Calves Perthes is a disease where the head of the femur is essentially digesting itself. We treat by removing the head of the femur (thigh bone) so that there is no longer any pain in that joint. They then form something called a "false joint" and go on to live a normal life.