Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog may have just had a seizure. She is 15 mos old, in

My dog may have just had a seizure. She is 15 mos old, in her 2nd heat cycle, and has mated. She suddenly fell over and was unresponsive and shaking. What can I do? Should I look to abort her pups? Does this mean she will pass this on genetically?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It does sound like that was a seizure. In a dog this age, the most common cause of seizures is epilepsy. Epilepsy is common in many breeds and usually presents in the 1-5 year age range. A seizure will have a typical look. They will fall over and lose consciousness. They will shake and often either urinate or defecate. This lasts ~ 60 seconds. They will then have a period where they are stressed, pacing, panting and uncoordinated for minutes to hours after

Epilepsy is a genetic disease in dogs, so I would not recommend breeding her. Sometimes it can be hormone driven, so spaying is not a bad idea as that can sometimes prevent further seizures in the future.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response. I'm hoping it really wasn't a "canned" reply.

My doggied really didn't have any of the symptoms described. Only that she fell over and then was "weird" for less than a minute. She didn't present with any of the after affects you mentioned. No pacing, panting, uncoordinated...... etc.

I own both of her parents and have never seen this behavior in either.

From my quick research, seizures don't seem to have any definitive tests. Could this possibly be from a pregnancy?

I am a responsible breeder and have never seen this behavior in any of my doggies. What do you recommend about aborting, spaying, wait and see.... etc.?

If she was not having seizure activity and she didn't urinate/ defecate or have those "post-ictal" signs, then I don't think I'd call it a seizure. We can also see something called syncope where a dog passes out. There are a number of reasons why this can happen.

If it wasn't a true seizure, then I wouldn't get too worried about the potential puppies. I'd probably just put it on a calender so that you know if it happens again and how long the period was between them.

I would go the wait and see approach for now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your answer. I am familiar with syncope. I work in human medicine and didn't even give that a thought.

I guess I get a little over-worried with my doggies. I may be a breeder. but, my doggies are my pets first.

God bless you and all you do with the animals.

Cindi

You're very welcome. Happy to help Cindi.