Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

My 12 year old dachshund has CHF. She recently had a bad reaction

My 12 year old dachshund has CHF. She recently had a bad reaction to spironolactone. She took a 1/4 of a tab friday and then a 1/4 monday...by monday morning she was already not feeling well. She tried eating then started having problems swallowing. As this happened, she started pacing around and limping and she got very scared. Since monday, she has had a very poor appetite. We realized it was her stomach and she got GI issues from spironolactone again. This happened to her before a few weeks ago. Her vet doctor knew about it but said give it to her anyway. Against my better judgement, I did and this what happened. All she has done this week was sleep, be confused, and really poor appetite. Today I took her to my vet and she received a shot for Cerenia and I told my vet she can't get spironolactone anymore and he agreed....

SO tonight she was hungry and I gave her a little bit of turkey breast and chicXXXXX XXXXXver, I did my best to make it mushy so she can swallow it. Again She had trouble swallowing and started pacing around. She went back for the food again, ate it all but started pacing around again and got scared. Her nose has been dry too. Could this be a side effect of that drug and when should it be out of her system or do you have any advice? Thanks. SHe is on Hydralazine, Vetmedin, Furosemide, digoxine and Diltiazem.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

I am sorry to hear that Lili is not doing well

Dr. G :

Has she had any vomiting or diarrhea? Does she have any dental disease (can you see any tartar on the teeth or are they white)?

Dr. G :

also, are you able to take a rectal temperature?

Customer:

Hi, She did have diarrhea tuesday into wednesday morning and it was a little bloody but it stopped...and she vomited a little bit this morning, it was liquid bile. Her temperature is normal

Dr. G :

I see. Did your vet give you anything for diarrhea or inflammation in the GI tract like Tylan or metronidazole?

Customer:

Yes I gave her metronidazole yesterday and it stopped the diarrhea

Dr. G :

And how is her CHF doing? Are you seeing any coughing or difficulty breathing lately?

Customer:

She hasn't coughed at all since friday. She received to lasix injections friday and saturday morning. Her vet looked at her and her lungs sound clear and heart rate is normal

Customer:

two*

Customer:

her breathing is fine too

Dr. G :

Great. It think it does indeed sound like the spironolactone is causing all of this. The problem now is how long the upset stomach will remain. In this case, Lili will likely need to be on some kind of anti-emetic to help with nausea for at least a couple days. Given that she is having some issues swallowing, it may be that the cerenia is not enough. Often times I will add in another medication called ondansetron. This is an oral medication given twice daily to control nausea and vomiting

Customer:

right now she only was given Cerenia for at least 4 days

Customer:

how long would the Spirno drug be in her system?

Dr. G :

Typically the drug will be out of their system completely within about 2-3 days, however the side effects can sometimes last longer than that. Side effects can include neurologic changes (which could potentially affect swallowing and can cause nausea), and upset stomach (vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, etc). I think Lili needs more than Cerenia to get her through this since it really is not getting her back to normal

Dr. G :

When was her last bloodwork?

Customer:

it was Friday

Customer:

and it was shown to be fine

Dr. G :

That is great. I wanted to make sure there was no issues with the kidneys, which can often cause similar signs.

Dr. G :

What I would recommend is getting a hold of your vet in the morning and getting Lili on some Ondansetron. You can also have her start up an appetite stimulant like cyproheptadine or mirtazapine

Customer:

Yes no issues with her Kidneys, they're are very strong since she has been on lasix for a year now. She urinates normally too

Customer:

she has mirtazapine too. Vet told me to start saturday with it

Customer:

so would baby food be good for her for a couple days since its easier to swallow?

Dr. G :

Baby food would be great and I think she would really enjoy it. I would try and get some cooked egg whites in there as well because they are a great source of protein and are very good for sensitive stomachs

Customer:

great! Thank you so much. She is doing a bit better tonight because she was hungry but this happened to her. Shes back to sleeping on her side too

Dr. G :

You're very welcome. I am glad to hear she is at least improving a little bit.

I wish you the best with Lili. Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great night

Customer:

thank you and have a great night! :)

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian