Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My ten year old american bulldog/pit bull mix has had a skin

My ten year old american bulldog/pit bull mix has had a skin tag that became as big as a lemon and had to be surgically removed a few years ago. I now see that he is growing another skin tag on the opposite hind quarter. Wondering if I should have it removed while it is small or wait to see if it continues to grow like the other one did. What is your suggestion?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long did it take the last one to get big?

How did Charlie do during that recovery?

Has he had blood work done lately?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Lisa,

I actually took him to the vet who told me that it was a "skin tag and it could get as big as a grapefruit." I was skeptical about that and decided to wait and see. Well, it did continue to grow and grow and about a year later it was as big as a lemon hanging on a stalk that would bounce when he would run. When it started to get damaged from bouncing around and bleed I took him for surgery. He was sedated and the cut was long and deep into the muscle. I was surprised. He healed up well. It has been about three years since and now I notice a 1/4 inch pink hanging skin tag on the other rear hind quarter.

He has not had any blood work done lately but I remember that the vet did do some blood work on him prior to the surgery before.

Thanks for your input.

Karen

Hiya Karen. Thanks so much for the additional information.

A couple things you need to take into account is not only the fact that the last one grew pretty quickly, but the fact that Charlie is a geriatric boy now.

Since the last tag did grow pretty quickly, if he were mine, I think I'd go ahead and have it removed. The smaller it is, the smaller the incision is going to be, so by having it removed now, rather than later, maybe we can get away with a much smaller incision that won't involve having to cut into the muscle.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the feedback. I will take your advice and have the vet take a look. I see you have bully breed expertise. I rescued Charlie from a family who was going to have him put down at the age of three years. He is an un-neutered male and is dog aggressive. He is a wonderful pet for us but we keep him at home most of the time. I usually have the "mobile vet" come outside to my car to check on him so he doesn't start anything with other dogs. Would his age make a difference with the surgery at this point in the game? Will the blood work be required to do any surgery or skin tag removal?

Karen

At 11 years old, Charlie's behavior is pretty well set. The good thing is that it sounds like he's perfectly happy at home with your family, and as long as you don't mind not taking him to the dogpark or anything, then I don't think it's something you need to stress him out working on. Truth be told, much of his behavior was likely set before you even got him.

As for the blood work....I suspect they'll want some run. I'm sure that the mobile vet can get it from him just as easily as a stationary clinic vet, and it's the best thing to do to make sure he's healthy enough to undergo surgery.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN