Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

10 yr old shepherd drops feces balls around. What is wron

10 yr old shepherd drops feces balls around. What is wrong?

Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for requesting me. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in canine health. I'm sorry to hear of Ginger's problem.

What she is experiencing is called fecal incontinence. It can be caused by several different conditions. It can be neurological - the nervous system doesn't let the dog know when she has to go. It can be due to an infestation of parasites, in the past or present, that damaged the colon. It can be due to weakening of the muscles of the rectum. You'll need to take Ginger in for a vet exam to determine what is wrong. Some of the causes of fecal incontinence are treatable, while others are not. Your vet will have to diagnose the cause in order to determine what to do. You can read more about fecal incontinence here:

Regardless of the cause, fecal incontinence always means something is wrong. The sooner you can find out what it is, the better.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope Ginger will reach a full recovery.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!