Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

i have an older rottwieller he is mostly a rott but you can

i have an older rottwieller he is mostly a rott but you can see he has some german shepard in him too. he is about 8 or 9 years old we live on the west coast of florida. my problem is he sheds and sheds alot. I should probably give him more baths and i think that might help but i wanted to know what you thought was normal on shedding. to give you an idea if i pet him on the porch for a few mintues i have tumbleweeds of hair, and when i vacuum which is oncew a week the cup is full of his hair, its a full size vacuum
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

From your description of the shedding, it absolutely sounds like there's some Shepard in him too!! Many breeds are infamous for shedding and Shepards top that list!! Even when freshly bathed and brushed, they're still shedders.

Something you could do would be to add a little fish oil to his diet (just the same kind a person takes). If he's shedding due to dry skin or brittle hair, this will help.

Another thing you could do would be to call a groomer and ask them to strip the undercoat. The undercoat is the fluffy part that does most of the shedding. Once the groomer takes it out, he'll shed a lot less.

I have a husky who did the exact smae thing...shed enough hair to make another dog....we get him stripped once every 3-4 months and that really, really, really helps!!

I hope this helps.