Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My eight week old shih tzu began vomitting and drooling just

My nine week old Shih-tzu began vomiting and drooling just a little while ago. She keeps shaking her head, about every ten to fifteen seconds. She is in a play-yard all day with a couple of toys and a bed. I'm not sure what it could be?  She last vomited around thirty minutes ago, however, she is drooling quite a bit.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Chloe.

Rebecca :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Vomiting, drooling, and head shaking sounds like either she ate something she should not have eaten, or she is having an allergic reaction to something like a sting or an insect or spider bite.

Rebecca :

If you look at her gums, do they look a normal bright pink, or are they pale?

Rebecca :

If her gums are pink, that is a good sign.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you can see what I am writing.

Rebecca :

I can try to connect another way if I do not hear from you soon.

I hope you can see what I am saying now.

If this is an allergic reaction, you could try some Benedryl. If you let me know how much she weighs, I can give you a dose.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She just keeps shaking her head, drooling, and now a little bit more active

If her gums are pink, try the Benedryl. How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In my opinion, her gums seem a little pale to me. She is tiny, a little over two pounds.

Pale gum can indicate shock, poor circulation, or dehydration. It could still be an allergic reaction, but could be from something she ate that was spoiled, toxic, or poisonous.

Again, the Benedryl might help but I need to know her weight to give you a safe dose. Since she is a small puppy, about a pound? You could get children's liquid Benedryl and give her one to two milligrams per pound of body weight.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try the Benedryll. Is it possible for her to be in shock or dehydrated and still be playing and wagging her tail? Thank you for your help, I so appreciate it.

Not likely she is in shock if she is playing, and wagging her tail!

You can test for dehydration by gently pinching some skin over her shoulders, and letting it go. It should snap right back into place. If it takes a few seconds to go back, she is dehydrated. If it snaps right back, her hydration is good.

SInce she sounds stable, try a dose of the Benedryl.

I will be checking back tomorrow to see how she is doing.

Kindly rate my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

Thank you for the great rating!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, I checked and she does not seem dehydrated. Now she just seems tired. I'll have her close to me tonight, and keep an eye on her. I hope she's alright skipping dinner. I know these tiny breeds tend to get hypoglycemic.

Yes, that is true. You can rub Karo syrup onto her gums. The sugar can be absorbed directly across her gums and into her bloodstream. That would be a good idea; good thinking!

Try offering water, or broth to get her to drink.

I will check back tomorrow to see how she is.

Hello Annie,
How is Chloe doing today?