Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Hi Doctor, my 16 month old male staffy has just started constantly

Hi Doctor, my 16 month old male staffy has just started constantly urinate. It is not a big flow or anything like that, but a constant dribbling everywhere he goes. He seems happy and very playful. He ate his dinner just like normal. Can you please help? Debbie
Hello Debbie,
I am sorry to hear about Rusty.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

The first thing I would check for, if he were my dog, is a bladder infection. He may just need a course of antibiotics to get him back to normal, if that is what he has.

Is he drinking more water than usual? Sometimes dog drink too much either from habit or an internal imbalance, and drinking a lot more water than usual can cause them to dribble urine because the bladder is always full from all the drinking.

Male dogs can have prostate problems that can cause symptoms like this, but that would be very unusual in such a young dog. Another thing that can cause urine dribbling is a problem with the bladder sphincter, or with the nerves running to the bladder, but those are things usually seen in older dogs.

So having him checked for a bladder infection by taking a urine sample to your veterinarian is where I would begin. LIkely he will be better with a course of antibiotics, but the only way to know if that is the problem would be to look at some of his urine under a microscope.

Please let me know what else I can help with, or answer.

Thank you for the good rating.

Hello Debbie,
How is Rusty doing?