Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  15+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

I have a lake land terrier who is nearly 2 years old. We live

Customer Question

I have a lake land terrier who is nearly 2 years old. We live with our parents at the moment that also have one that is slightly older. Our dogs are really well looked after groomed regulary ( have tried a few places to get the right cut ). Our dog ollie was confident, cheeky and has a big perosnality. He was taken to a new groomer a few weeks ago and hasnt been the same since. He used to love the car - i used to drop him at my mums every morning from when we got him and he loved the car just used to curl up in a ball and sleep- really relaxed. Now he is panting like mad trying to climb on me when im driving and shaking like a leaf. He is fine when he is at home- happy ect and playing with us and the other dog. But even taking him for walks now is getting difficult he is so timid and tucks his bottom under and so alert and walks practically under you. He hasnt been around any one else apart from this new groomer - so im dredding that maybe something happended to him there. When he was collected he was in a small cage with the other dog next to him. He has never been in a cage in his life and as a puppy i used small gate like things to barracade him in a area. He didnt like them much so we stopped using them. i have booked him in the vet just wanted a physical check over him. I want my dog back ! :-( hes just so different. He is eating and drinking fine and has had some many cuts before but is normally left to roam about. So i just want another opinion please help me ?!! Harriet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 10 months ago.

Hello:

Poor Ollie :( Sounds like he sure had a rough go of it at the new groomer. I am very glad to see that you are going to have a vet check him over...that is definitely the first step just to be on the safe side.

Should that come out all clear, the next step is rebuilding Ollie's confidence. I would suggest short walks around your garden/yard with plenty of yummy safe treats, like small bits of boiled chicken breast (no skin, no bones, no seasonings) and with a cheery voice, good boy Ollie, that's a good boy and when he's happy, treat him. Then move to the end of the drive way, then a little way down the street, all doing the same routine. Take it very slowly with Ollie...going too fast will back fire on you. Do this over a period of a week at minimum. If he starts to get uncomfortable, go back to where he is calm again.

As time goes on, you can travel further and further. Do NOT tell him its ok in a soothing voice when he is nervous. This will just reinforce the negative behavior. Just ignore it and go back...on your terms though, not on his.

Since he's a younger dog, it will take some time but I think Ollie will do just fine and again, I can't stress taking this slowly enough. :)

I would also call the groomer and see how he behaved there. They may lie...they may tell you he was nervous in the cage but do ask about his behavior. I would also consider a mobile groomer if you can find one, for now..until Ollie becomes Ollie again.

Do pop in and let me know how its going with him and if you have further questions, please feel free to use the reply box or click the reply tab to reply to me.

Thanks so much and good luck with your boy!!!

Experience: 15+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thats re assuring to hear, thnaks for your reply.

The other dog Oscar has always been nerous in the car but great on walks - do you think its possible Ollie is now mimicking his car behaviour? by panting and shaking and being nervous? We used to live seperatley but now we live together they are best buddies now and just wondered if he could have influensed him ?

Regards

Harriet

Expert:  Gina replied 10 months ago.

Hello Harriet:

Yes, it is possible. I rescued a bulldog that "taught" my mastiff to be thunderphobic so yes, it is possible, but considering you had the grooming situation before this started, its hard to tell.

Since Oscar (love the name) also has some behaviour issues, see if you can find a friend that can work with Oscar while you are working with Ollie doing the same thing.

As far as the car issues go..you can do the same thing. Do this one at a time...don't work them together. Bring one to the car on lead, get in the car, get out, in and out in and out...several times for several days. Next in the car with a treat like a kong toy stuffed with peanut butter. Do not start the car yet. The next week, do the same and start the car...don't move the car. The next week, move the car down the driveway. You see the routine here :) The biggest thing is to go slow and not make the car a stressful place. :)

I hope this has helped you further :)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Brilliant thanks again. Its really stressful when you dont know whats wrong but all we can do is try. I do believe that building his confidence is crutial aswell. Thanks so much.

Expert:  Gina replied 10 months ago.
I completely understand how stressful it is...its very difficult to see your lovely dogs stress out about such things, but with time and patience and, of course, treats :) I truly believe you can help them. :) If I can be of further assistance, please let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you and have a lovely day :)
Expert:  Gina replied 10 months ago.
Hello Harriet:

I was just checkin in to see how it's going with Ollie. If there is anything else I can do to assist you, please let me know. I'm happy to help :)