Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

Can I ask you a question doctor? Its about 2 bumps that appeared

Can I ask you a question doctor? Its about 2 bumps that appeared on my dogs head this evening.
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb.
The expert you requested hasn't been on the site for several years now but I'll do my best to assist you today, if I can.

1. What specific questions did you have about the bumps that you've found on Tia?
2. Can you tell me exactly where they are located on her head?
3. Do they appear to bother her? Itchy?
4. Approximately what size are they?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was wondering what they could be. One is smack dab in the middle of her small fore head and one is about an inch and 1/2 towards the left side of her fore head. Do not seem to bother her. One is the size of half a pea and one the size of a quarter of a pea.

So pretty small.

If they appeared quite suddenly in this location, then the list of possibilities is pretty short:
1. Hives or reaction to an insect sting or possibly a spider bite. If this might be problem, then you could give Benadryl at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice a day. Sedation is a common side effect. Most dogs will respond to anti-histamines for this problem, but some will need steroids before improvement is seen.

2. Two small pustules or pus-filled pockets which might be reflective of a mild staph infection. How these would have developed in this area is not entirely clear but I have seen them secondary to allergies, for example.
If this might be the problem, then you could apply over the counter, topical antibiotic ointment to them twice a day; they should resolve fairly quickly although sometimes oral antibiotics might be needed.

3. It would be a little unusual for two cysts to develop this suddenly but this is another possible explanation.

It is often not possible to determine what a lump or bump might be based on feel or visualization alone. Usually cells need to be aspirated and examined under a microscope or sent off to a pathologist for review if there's any question about what they might be.
If these small bumps don't resolve in a short period of time, then I might have your vet take a look at them. I certainly wouldn't consider this to be an emergency situation but I wouldn't want to ignore them either if they persist.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You doctor Deb. I gotta tell you. I am a bit paranoid and panicked because I lost my 6 year old IG to lymphoma a month ago. She made it 9 months on Chemo and meds. She was my first dog and like my own child. Hardest thing I ever had to go thru. So you can understand my concern. I felt one bump at first,then another one appeared later. That's when I also thought this was some type of reaction. She is in the yard a lot but this is a first. I live in South Florida where no insects die basically. I was just kinda sick when I saw those on her tiny head.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your other IG; I can certainly understand why you might be so panicked about Tia!
Nine months is a pretty decent time to live with lymphoma and I'm sure you treasured every day you had with her...and miss her every day since she's been gone.
But I can absolutely reassure you that this isn't likely to be cancer and definitely not lymphoma (although you probably already figured this out). While some skin growths can be cancer, they rarely appear in pairs as you're seeing. This really sounds more like a reaction to something to me than anything else.

I live in New England but the insects and bugs have been pretty bad this year for some reason as well....perhaps the heat and humidity we had last month that rivaled what you see most days:)
Deb

I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I also wanted to wish you the best with Tia.

I hope you'll keep me posted about her. Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great Doctor. I will keep you informed. Trinity's oncologists were wonderful with her too. I cant imagine having to go thru this so soon again seeing as I also lost my mom to cancer last month. Thank you for everything!

Christa

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Christa:
You're more than welcome:)
You've certainly had a lot of sorrow and heart break in your life in a short period of time.
But I feel confident that Tia is not going to add to your emotional distress.

I'll look forward to chatting with you in a few days....hopefully you'll have good news to share:) Kindest regards, Deb

Hello:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tia. How is she doing? Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey there Dr.Deb!

Tia`s bumps have gotten tiny. I did see her rubbing her head on the carpet as if she was itchy. I am guessing it was something that bit her out side. I will watch the bumps to see if there is any change though. Thanks so much for asking.

Register Here

Christa:
That's wonderful news and I appreciate your sharing:)
You must be so relieved that this clearly isn't anything too serious.

Take care, Deb