Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

hi I live 30 miles from my vet and I just took my dog to get

hi I live 30 miles from my vet and I just took my dog to get her rabies shot, DHPP, rattlesnake toxoid, and oral worming, when we got home which has been about an hour now, she started rubbing her nose in the carpet, and I figured she was has an allergic reacton to something, so I gave her 2 benadrryl, she is a agreat pyrenese weight is 133, her nose and face are swollen and she is kinda like in a panic state like when it is storming, what else should I do? I do have some prednisone on hand 10mg. of course the vet is closed, so what should I do?
connie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

It definitely sounds like she's having a reaction to something.

The dose of Benadryl is 1-2mg/pound so at 133 pounds, she could actually have 133-266mgs of tablet..so what I'd do is right now give her another 6 of the pills. That's an additional 150mgs, so those plus the two you already gave her should do the trick!

I know that it's hard to see her being so frantic, but dogs feed off our emotions, so try to calm down yourself and give her the extra pills.

If you don't notice at least a slight improvement within an hour...or if she gets worse instead of better, or has a blue tinge to her tongue/gums, then you need to get her to an emergency vet immediately.

If you're not sure where an emergency vet is in your area, you can go here: www.vetlocator.com and they'll show you where the closest one to you is.

I hope she's feeling better soon!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thankyou very much,so I rushed off, but was trying to figure out what else to do for Lady, and her paniciing, and my other dog a catahula, mad and tearing a bag up out of the trash because im not paying a lot of attention to him, he, has an attitude, and my husband is out in his radio shack out back and im trying to handle all this by myself,. I gave her the additional 6, with peanutbutter as that is the only way she will take med, and gave Rascal a big spoon ful of peanut butter too, so he doesn't feel

totally ignored, and I also took Ladys collar off to help her breath a little betteras she was scratching like crazy. im going to wash her face and feet with a cool rag to help with the itches.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you're doing really well right now...just keep an eye on her...Hopefully the Benadryl will kick in soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lady seems to be doing better, her snout is still swollen, but her tongue and gums are pinkish red, which is expected with an allergic reaction, but she did eat a little bit, and she is resting in our bedroom with the ac where it is cooler and quieter. I took Rascal for a walk so he would chill out. I will continue to watch Lady to make sure she doesn't relapse. if her snout is still swollen in the morning, should I give her more Benadryl?

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Yes. You can give Benadryl every 8-10 hours until the swelling is completely gone.

And I'm happy to hear that she's feeling a bit better....I bet you are too!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oh yes ma'am I am Smile it just breaks my heart when my babies are hurting or not feeling well. I don't have children because of medical reasons, so my dogs are like my kids, they act like kids sometimes too LOL, but Thankyou so much for your help. I knew I could give her at least 2 Benadryl but with the way she was acting I didn't know whether to give her more or give her a prednisone. She takes Prednisone occasonaly for seasonal allergies, and so do I for a skin disorder, and she didn't have any, but I had a couple 10 mg tabs. I don't like to give it to her but sometimes that's all that will help. I know your not suppose to give human meds to animals, but if it is necessary I will. anyways thankyou again, and May God Bless YouWink

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I completely understand!!!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Connie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey CVT_in_MN
Thankyou for following up on Lady, she is much better, and is doing really good. She does however have a raw spot just right under her nose from rubbing her nose so much, but other than that she is ok. I gave her more Benadryl the next morning as her snout was still swollen, but not as bad, but you could tell she didn't feel just up to par, so I gave her 5 more , and went to work, and came home at noon and she was much better :)
Thanks to you :) I wonder why she had a reaction as last year she didn't , and I don't think she did the year before!? She did however Easter this year got snake bit, and wonder if that may have caused her to have a reaction?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
It's definitely possible...I"m happy to hear she's feeling better!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't told the vet about it, guess its a little late to tell him, but when she is due next year I will definitely tell him so he can give her a shot of cortisone to help ward off any possible ill effects!
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I think that's a great plan! You can always call them on Monday and tell them about Lady's reaction, so they get it in her file...that way if you accidentally for get to mention it next year, it'll already be there!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that is a good ideal too :)
I will do that!
Thanks again for caring enough to check up,on her! It makes me feel like y'all really do care :)

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
You're absolutely welcome!!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech