Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

What is the prognosis for my 8-1/2 year old Bernese Mountain

What is the prognosis for my 8-1/2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog? She was diagnosed with proprioceptive deficits in her feet/legs.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Can you explain the deficits?

Were they sudden, or did they seem to come on slowly?

Any possibility of trauma or illness?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Daisy's right rear paw is the worst of her paws. It folds underneath her and she is not aware of it. Her other paws show some signs of the same problem. This has been coming on for the last few months. Our vet says that it is the nerves in her lower spine that are causing the problem.

No trauma or illness.

Our other Berner, Emily had this same problem; she eventually lost her mobility completely. She passed at age 10 about 2 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I just have one more question:

Were Emily and Daisy from the same line?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Different parents.

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it!!

Unfortunately because Daisy is a Berner, I can't help but wonder if she's got some Degenerative Myelopathy going on.

Unfortunately, DM is a degenerative issue for which there really, truly is no treatment. I do know many people who use Meloxicam (also known as Metacam) that seems to help a bit with discomfort becuase of it's pain control and anti-inflammatory properties, but's simply masking the problem.

I think if your dog seems uncomfortable more times than not, then using the Metacam may help improve his quality of life for a while.

There's more information on DM here:

And here's a site that deals specifically with DM in Berners:

If Daisy were mine, I'd start by talking to the vet and seeing if he feels this could be what is going on.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!

You're welcome...I wish I could have given you better news.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?