petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog was just prescribed Metronidazole 250 mg (3 tablets

My dog was just prescribed Metronidazole 250 mg (3 tablets a day x 5 days) by his vet yesterday because he started vomiting and having watery diarrhea yesterday all of a sudden. She gave Milo subcutaneous fluids to go home on and she told me not to feed him until this morning. I gave him rice and chicken this morning without problem and he hasn't vomited so I tried to give him 3 tablets of the abx with a little more chicken and rice but he spit them out and my roomate's dog swooped in and ate them before I could stop her.
Should I contact my vet and request 3 more antibiotics? I know it's important to completely finish antibiotics and I'm worried that missing those three will result in the infection returning and being worse.
Also, will my roomate's dog be okay after eating those 3 tablets? She's about 60 lbs and she's acting completely normally. She just ate the tablets half an hour ago.
Lastly, would coating the tablets in peanut butter or putting them in a small slice of banana be alright for my dog?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Milo pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

I would definitely give your vet a call and let them know what happened. They will likely want you to pick up the additional tablets so that you can give for the entire 5 days as prescribed. Metronidazole is used for it's antibiotic properties and it can act as an anti-inflammatory in the colon as well. On top of that however, it also possesses anti-parasite activity for certain microscopic parasites like Giardia which can be a source of diarrhea and other GI upset. For that reason, they will most likely want the full 5 days covered.

As far as your roommate's dog, that dosage ingested one time should not pose a problem.

Metronidazole is a very bitter pill. If you need to coat them or hide them in order to get Milo to accept them better, that would be perfectly fine. There is a product available called a pill pocket and it allows you to place a pill inside of a tasty treat that then closes. These work very well for some dogs. LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus. It is truly appreciated.