Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Hi my 7 yr old english bulldog had xrays yesterday they said

Hi my 7 yr old english bulldog had xrays yesterday they said she had a tumor on her or next to her esofugus....and one on her liver...she has lost about 11 bounds in the past 6 month and eats but sometimes throws it up since its effecting her esofugus.....they want me to get a ultrasound to see what kind of mass or tumor this is....i dont want to put her down but dont have any money for chemo any suggestions? :(
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear that your dog, Maggie was diagnosed with multiple tumors yesterday. Unfortunately, when a dog has tumors in more than one place, this means that they're most likely malignant, which means it has already spread, and sadly, that means there is a poor prognosis...usually even with treatment..

As a general rule of thumb, malignant neoplasias can spread rather quickly. At our clinic, we tell clients that a dog with a confirmed case of a malignant cancer has, if left untreated, a life expectancy of about 2-6 months from the time of diagnosis. Of course, we can TRY to extend that with chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy, however in a geriatric dog with liver involvement, that time would be drastically reduced.

That being said, just like humans, every dog is different and of course, if you're not convinced with your vet's diagnosis, you can always get a second opinion from either another vet in your area, or you could ask your vet to refer Maggie to a veterinary oncologist. I think if this were my dog, I'd ask for the referal.

I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: ,, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: , you can see if there is one in your area.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much I really appreciate it ...i will check those sites yeah its pretty rough I have never had a dog long enough for it to come to this and its devastating..thank you again for your help

I can absolutely understand. I hope one of those pages can give you some help!
Hi Tiffany,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!! She seems ok I mean slow and tired but she eats well I have been cooking her hamburger and mixing it with cottage cheese lol I have no idea if its good for her or not but she has been keeping it down and loving it......I called the rescue I got her from and they reffered me to their bulldog dr....hoping to get a 2nd opinion......thanks so much for following up we go next Tuesday praying for better out come....hey do u know why the other dr said chemo and not removal? I thought that was kind of strange......

That does seem strange. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again :)

You're welcome!!