Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Hi Dr Gary, I have 4 pets. All of them from time to time during

Hi Dr Gary,
I have 4 pets. All of them from time to time during the day lick their paws (and other body parts too). Apparently they shed too. Recently I got to hear that the hair once ingested can never get out of the stomach. Is this true? Are hair (if they stick in stomach) detrimental the animal's health? Thanks

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you may be seeing signs of allergies- this is very common in dogs. If they are mild, you may get away with just using over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) periodically. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours as needed.

Once the hair is ingested, it will typically pass out of the stomach and through the bowel normally. If too much hair is ingested, it can cause a large hairball that gets stuck in the stomach or intestine. This is uncommon in pugs and short haired animals. It's much more likely in longhair dogs or, more commonly, long haired cats.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Hi Prateek,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nanu, Dulari, Lalla, Singham. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Gary,

They're all well.

Thanks for asking.

Sounds good, thanks.