Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hello - My Bernese (nearly 100 pounds) is 8 years old and wouldnt

Hello - My Bernese (nearly 100 pounds) is 8 years old and wouldn't do well after an operation to repair his torn ligament. I am trying to keep walks to a minimum but would also like to give him something for the pain. How much Aspirin could I give a big fella like Wesley? Thank you so much - Mireille
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Aspirin can be used safely for a few days in most cases however it is important to know that it provides minimal pain relief for dogs and it would be best to get an anti inflammatory medication from your vet. If you do use aspirin and find it is not helpful and want to get medication from your vet be sure to tell them you used the aspirin as that will limit what medications can be given for 7 days.

The recommended dosing for Aspirin is 5-10mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. I would always start with the lower end of the dose and see if that helps. I would also give with food to prevent stomach upset. If he as any vomiting, pain in the abdomen or blood in the stool discontinue use immediately.
Here is additional information on the use of aspirin as well as precautions and possible side effects .Link

I would also look in to getting a brace if you think he would not do well with surgical repair.Below are links to places you can get different types of braces.
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Candy - I will go easy on Aspirin. Will do some research on the leg braces you have suggested.

Do you believe that glucosamine or other types of supplements could help with the inflammation? Are there natural anti-inflammatory remedies?

My thanks for your prompt service!
Mireille

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I personally think most large breed senior dogs should be on a glucosamine supplement.
Omega Fatty acids are also very helpful as these have natural anti inflammatory properties. One product we like in our office that combines both is Synovi G3 which can be purchased at many larger pet stores. Here is this product LINK
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again for your advice! Have a good day, Mi

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Give him a good pet from me and tell him I hope he feels better soon