Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

I have an American eskimo, this morning she running in the

Customer Question

I have an American eskimo, this morning she was running in the park down hill, I really didn't noticed what had happened, suddenly she was creaming, could get up and stand. when I lift her up both left side of the leg has no strength. she falling down. she is at the vet now, vet says within 24 hrs, if she doesn't stand, he says that may be motor neurons damaged. I love my dog please let me know what could have happened to the dog, and treatable? thanks james

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Snow today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

It sounds as if what you are describing is possibly a herniated or a ruptured disc her spine. These ca occur acutely as you describe and the symptoms can be anywhere from just pain all the way to loss of feeling and paralysis or anywhere in between. When the spine is irritated by the disc material, it can lead to inflammation of the spine as well as swelling and this swelling if not relieved can lead to permanent and irreversible damage.

Swiftness of treatment is of utmost importance and if there is a chance for recovery, surgery is sometimes needed to relieve pressure on the spine. Definitive diagnosis of the affected disc space can be a challenge and advanced imaging like an MRI is usually needed. Surgery, if performed is best done by a board certified surgeon, preferably experienced in neurosurgery. If is it appearing that may be an option for her, your vet can refer her to someone that with that kind of experience.

Here is a link with much greater explanation about disc disease. LINK HERE

Some dogs with this condition can be successfully managed medically with anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds along with strict cage rest. If the symptoms are not improving over the first 24-48 hours or if they are progressing, surgery is usually the best option.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus. It is truly appreciated.

Good luck with your girl Snow and please keep me updated as far as progress.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello James,

Just wondering how things are going with Snow? Is she showing any improvement?

Dr Z