petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I just got home from vacation to find a sore on my labs snout

I just got home from vacation to find a sore on my lab's snout right next to his nose. It appears to have slightly scabbed over, but I can't tell from looking at it if it's raised like a pustule or anything like that. I'll see if I can attach a picture.

Dr Z :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Frank today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Dr Z :

Does it look like he may have been rubbing it on something to have caused this?

Customer:

I can't really tell, but it's possible. I'm working on uploading a picture, just a minute

Dr Z :

OK

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr Z :

Ok, that helps. It looks like it could be self induced, possibly from rubbing. There are a couple of other possibilities.

Dr Z :

There is a benign growth that can occur spontaneously on young dogs, often on the muzzle or legs. It is called a histiocytoma. They usually resolve on their own.

Customer:

Now that you mention it, he has a ear infection on that side of his head. he frequently pushes his face across the grass with that side leading in order to try and itch his ear.

Dr Z :

When they are resolving, they sort of dry up like this. Was he with a pet sitter or in a kennel? Did anyone note a sore earlier on his face?

Customer:

He was at my house and I had a friend watching him

Dr Z :

Other possibilities include lesions due to ringworm (a fungus in the ground) or mange mites, so if it is not clearing up, I would have it tested.

Dr Z :

In the meantime, I would keep it clean by swabbing daily with peroxide and apply a topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin.

Customer:

Ok cool. I don't know how long it's been there, but I was only gone from Thursday until last night. If it gets worse I'll be sure and contact my vet

Customer:

Great! I wasn't sure what kind of topical to apply

Customer:

So common hydrogen peroxide is fine?

Dr Z :

That sounds like a good plan. I think there is a good chance it will resolve on it's own.

Customer:

ok. Do I need and try to cover it up in any way after applying the Neosporin? It seems like he could lick it off rather easily...

Dr Z :

yes on the peroxide. Common 3% that is available at the store.

Dr Z :

It would be difficult to cover and will probably just make him lick it or rub it more. Even if he licks it, it won't hurt him and some will absorb.

Customer:

That works. I'll do that for now. Thanks!

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.
Hi Mark,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Frank. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.