Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

i have been taking care of a 4 month old pitbull which has

i have been taking care of a 4 month old pitbull which has been vomiting foam and is really lathargic, what is wrong with him? I don't know if he's had his shots but i plan to see the vet in the morning if he doesn't get better. he also doesnt want to eat but is able to drink water, yet he vomits that out a while later. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Given his age it is possible he ate something that does not break down in the system. Anything outside such as sticks rocks dirt etc. or dog toys, bones,raw hides, the stuffing from a toy can all cause a blockage which will not allow food to pass and sometimes water so the dog may eat or drink but cannot hold it down for long until eventually they stop eating an drinking. Pups are also famous for eating paper type materials such as napkins tissues toilet paper etc which would do the same.
If there is a blockage it would likely require surgery.

If the dog ate any trash then you may see pancreatitis (from human food) or garbage toxicosis (from old food).

IF the dog is not up to date of shots then that leaves him open to puppy diseases such as parvo.

It is important to get him in for possible testing (x ray stool sample etc.) as this is not something you may not be able to treat at home.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First off, thanks a lot for answering my question. I had to take my dog to the Vet as he was not improving. As it turns out, he has the Parvo. The vet said that he looks to be okay for now and has not vomited or pooped after receiving the meds that she has given him. Other than that, it's a waiting game from here on out. I hope he will make it through this ordeal as he was very lethargic and unresponsive to food and water this morning. Once again thanks a lot for answering my question.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Oh Chris, I am sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you as you go through this ordeal.

Sally
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Sally, I am HAPPY to say that "little" Budjie is fine and dandy just after a few days and over $500.00 at the vet. I brought him home today and he is up to his old self! I was so concerned as I have had other Pits that have gotten Parvo. I am going to have hi get his shots a week from now so as to not re-live this nightmare. I have also bleached the house so that my "boys" will not go through this again! Once again, thanks a lot for your info!

-Chris

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,
I am glad to hear he is on his way to recovery:)

This is sent as an info request so you are not prompted to rate:) IF you need help in the future you can talk to me specifically by asking for me by name or going to my question box here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/ Positive feedback to the company is my reward, woof!