Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

our dog was diagnosed with cancer about 4 months and now seems

our dog was diagnosed with cancer about 4 months and now seems to be dying. He is now going in circles every couple minutes... is this a typical sign of dying? he is a yellow lab.
Hello and welcome.

So sorry to hear about Caruso's problem ...

However my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. What sort of cancer does Caruso have?

2. Is he showing any other symptoms of any sort { No matter how minor } ?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Scott! Here are my responses:

1. Bone Cancer - originally diagnosed on his left shoulder 4 months ago.

2. He is not eating or drinking water pretty much since yesterday. A few minutes ago it appear that he was having something neurological issues - like small seizures. He is started to go in circles every couple of minutes. His pupils are very dilated and he is breathing really hard. However, he is calming down now and just kind of laid down. Thank you for your help!

Hello again and thanks for the quick reply

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. I am so sorry to read your reply, bone cancer is almost always a very aggressive form of cancer with a high probability of spreading in the body. Circling like this is typical of neurological involvement and may well mean that the cancer has now spread to Caruso's brain.

2. All you can do in this sort of situation is to contact your vet to work out what is best for your dog, If I am right about the cancer spread then very often little can be done ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you!

Glad to have advised you ...

Good luck with Caruso.