Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My dog has been throwing up all day. It has been phelm looks

My dog has been throwing up all day. It has been phelm looks like egg whites. NO food in it. It is more like she is gagging and trying to get something loose out of her throat that causes this water with phelm(sp) or just water to come up. Took to doc. they gave her a cerania shot. No food since morning (13 hours ago) and just a few tablespoons of water. We do not think she is sick it seems different. She is happy and alert but can not stop.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. Is this more of a seal like honk and gagging as opposed to " regular " vomiting?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I do think it is more like gagging and earlier today the noise was loud. They gave her cerania and a muscle relaxer and now she is not making much noise but water is coming up . It is very small amounts but maybe did this 35 - 40 times today.

Hello again and thanks for the quick reply,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

Where these sort of symptoms are sudden onset I would not be at all surprised if Zoey has not contracted an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description it does sound a bit like kennel cough.

I could be wrong of course and this could be vomiting you are dealing with but from your description I would say that kennel cough would be a possibility, I will tell you a little of what I know about it ...

Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

This is a disease which vets will see quite a lot, we often have to explain the symptoms to clients :

1. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a seal honk! Many owners think their dogs are trying to vomit,

2. The dog may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, some dogs are quite bright and alert but others can be lethargic during the course of this disease and runny eyes are a possible symptom as well.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, she will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once she has done this he will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening throughout the day.

4. It is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make the affected dogs feel better very quickly. Cerania Tablets are indicated for the prevention of acute vomiting and the prevention of vomiting due to motion sickness in dogs by the way.

5. There are effective vaccines against some forms of this disease but because there are a number of other forms vaccinated dogs can still contract this disease.

Here is a link for more information on this disease : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you think we can feed her? She has not eaten all day. We have a can of ID..

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

As she is happy and alert I cannot see any harm in giving her something to eat, if this is kennel cough you are dealing with then the chances are she will keep the food down but keep up the gagging type symptom { This is coming from the respiratory tract }

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She stayed at the vets last week during the day because roofers were here. So...this might be.

We are giving her a little water at a time.. Is it okay to give water too?

She loved her little bit of food.. I hope it stays down.

As the infection improves will there be less phlem (sp) to clean up.. right now it is more watery

Can she give this to another dog?

Thank You.

Hello again,

1. The fact she was in an a place where other dogs gather in the last week is quite suspicious of kennel cough. Especially the vet's premises where of course sick dog and dogs with kennel cough might visit.

2. If this is kennel cough then just treat her as normal in terms of food and water, she should be fine in that respect.

3. Untreated the symptoms will normally stay as they are for a week or ten days and then gradually improve over the course of another week. The phlegm will usually stay much as it is for the first week or so ...

4. Kennel cough is a highly infectious disease so it could well affect other dogs in the proximity if they have not been vaccinated or do not have any natural immunity.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has had all of her shots..so how did she get it? Will my vet be upset that I mention kennel cough from his place?

Hello again,

1. Well you see Kennel Cough is not one disease but a group name for a number of similar diseases. There are effective vaccines against some forms of this disease but not all, just the more common forms. However there are variants of kennel cough which are not possible to vaccinate against so previously vaccinated dogs can still contract this disease I am afraid.

2. If I was the vet involved then I would very much want to know about any disease contracted on my premises, but obviously this could be a delicate subject to bring up but there is no harm in talking to your vet about it as long as you are diplomatic.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoey. How is everything going?

Scott Nimmo