Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

how much iv fluid should be given to a 72 pound dog with parvo

how much iv fluid should be given to a 72 pound dog with parvo over the day? He is 8 months old and the iv is given under the skin. Thank you for your time, and your response would be much appreciated
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Ace. A 72 pound dog with parvo can easily handle 1000 ml of fluid daily. . . that is actually about his maintenance requirements of fluids so if he is having a lot of diarrhea or vomiting he will require actually more fluid than that. 1/2 or less of that amount would be significantly less than what he needs and he will most likely get dehydrated if given that dose. I know it seems like quite a lot so split it up between 2 or 3 subcutaneous administrations throughout the day. So in review, 1000 ml daily is appropriate amount of fluid for a dog his size and if having diarrhea or vomiting may require more. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!