Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

I have a 5lb toy rat terrier that ate a childrens chewable

I have a 5lb toy rat terrier that ate a childrens chewable multi vitamin, what should I do?
Hello, and thanks for writing in.
The concern with multivitamin ingestion is typically the iron. If the ingestion occurred within the past hour, you can induce vomiting by giving 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the back of Briar's throat. If there is no vomiting in 10 minutes, you can repeat the dose of peroxide once. You can also give 5ml (1 teaspoon) of Milk of Magnesia, as this can help prevent problems. You may see some diarrhea with the vitamin ingestion. If Briar shows any other symptoms, or has blood in the diarrhea, he needs treatment at a veterinary clinic.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I read the supplement facts on the bottle, iron is not listed. It looks like there is not iron in this particular childrens chewable. Should I still induce vomiting?

Good that there is no iron, as that will help prevent problems. If he were my dog, I would still induce vomiting, just to try and prevent any possible issues in such a small dog. Otherwise, keep a close eye on him, and get him seen right away if he develops any abnormal symptoms (overall, this is not likely to happen, though).

Dr. Dave