Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I think my dog has an upset stomach and is constipated. I can

I think my dog has an upset stomach and is constipated. I can hear bowel sounds several feet away. He doesn't want to eat and is moping around and cowering up against a wall at times. He just sleeps, and is not himself. This started yesterday afternoon and is worse today. I have seen him urinate but not poop.

Can I give him something to make him feel better and relieve the constipation?

He has skin allergies and eats prescription dog food, as well as some table scraps and dog treats but he doesnt even want them today. I have tried to give him water and he doesn't want that either. He will let me hold him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is there any possibility he got into something he shouldn't have?

Does he get bones, rawhides or people food?

Does he ever eat non-food items?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He does not eat bones, and I am almost positive he did not eat something he shouldn't have. When he was younger he used to eat socks but he has not done that in many months now.

He does get treats, like rawhides and nylabones and will sometimes chew up a toy but I don't see any evidence of that,

He does get people food but in the past few weeks we have cut out alot of it because he is getting fat, and he had an episode a few weeks ago where he was lethargic and not himself. I took him to the vet and he thought is was from a recent cortisone shot, which he was getting every 3-4 months but this one had been sooner. He did get better the next day so the vet was pretty sure that was it.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I just have a couple more questions:

When was the last time he had a rawhide or nylabone?

Is his belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Has he done any vomiting?

When was the last time he got people food, and what was it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The last time he had a nylabone was several days ago.

His stomach feels rather hard. I looked under his tail and he smells gassy.

He hasn't had people food since thursday.

I have not seen him vomit, he does vomit often, yellow slimy vomit. We have been told this is common for some breeds.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your information. I really appreciate it.

With the additional information that he had a Nylabone several days ago and that he's having a hard time defecating makes me think that your dog is showing all the classic symptoms of an intestinal obstruction..., the tense/hard abdomen and the lethargy combined with the fact he hasn't defecated in days..these are all HUGE warning signs that your vet needs to be seen by a vet immediately.

An intestinal obstruction is what happens when the dog ingests something that is too big or too bulky to pass through the digestive tract the normal way. It gets stuck on one of the turns in the intestines and stops the flow of everything, causing your dog to get sicker and sicker until the intestine ruptures (if left untreated) and the dog dies.

This is something that is absolutely, positively worth the drive to either your regular vet immediately (or if your vet is closed at this point today, then an emergency vet). If your dog is as sick as he is now, I would strongly urge you to NOT wait until morning to have him seen...intestinal obstructions can turn fatal very quickly, so time is of the essence here.

I hope everything works out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK THANK YOU

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome!

Please do me a favor...even after you rate/accept my answer, please let me know how he does!!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pat,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Timmy. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The vet gave him some antinausea medicine and he perked up a little, but then the next day his eyes were a solid red color and he had puss coming out of his left eye and could barely open it. We took him to the vet again, There was a substituted vet there that day. She said he had an infection behind his eye, gave him steroid drops and recommended an eye specialist. We saw the specialist yesterday. Timmy has iritis, and a newly formed cataract. He said it is an extreme case of the inflammation they get when cataracts leak out. He gave us stronger steroid drops and told us that he has lost some vision in his eye, and explained about cataracts and the possibility of him getting one in the other eye in the future. He will be on these drops now for life. We discussed cataract surgery, but first must get the inflammation down, and we will probably hold off for a while til we see how bad his vision is. The vet recommended waiting to see what happens with the other eye because of the cost and small risk of complications. He said that whatever else was wrong with him was not related to this. I think that perhaps the inflammation from the cataract was causing post nasal drip,and that he had a sinus infection which would explain the nausea, constipation, not eating or drinking, mailaise and noisy breathing. I think it had been going on for several weeks, and he probably had a bad headache.

Anyway after getting on the drops, he is much friskier and his eyes are clearing up some. Today his left eye is wide open, Sad, but at least he feels better and he had good care.

Thank you for your advise, and thank you for caring. Timmy is so special to us, the thought of him being sick or worse is too painful to think about.

Pat

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm happy to hear he's doing better!! I love happy endings!!