Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My 80 pound 3 yr old Sheperd Malinois mix swallowed a whole

My 80 pound 3 yr old Sheperd Malinois mix swallowed a whole cooked pork side rib today (3 inches, possibly didn't get a chance to chew as it was a "steal" off daughters plate; wife immediately called the vet, waiting to hear back to from the vet. Its quite scary knowing it can kill him! He had a full bowel move 10 min afterward, which then became repeated runny poops which were kind of laboured (his unit was fully erect and his balls looked swollen), he seems normal, not lethargic. Any insight appreciated !! Google search suggests bread can protect digestive tract when he passes, as mineral oil can speed it up…and suggests NOT inducing vomiting. We will monitor his movements, but for now not in distress. Is it likely a full bone can pass in a dog this size with out an intestinal block; when should we go for X-ray etc. much appreciate
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is Jane. I've worked with animals professionally for over 17 years dealing with health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If it happened in the last hour or so, your vet might be able to retrieve it from the stomach. However, in many cases it is too late to do that and since bones can be digested, your vet may elect to take a wait and see approach. You can give your dog a piece of bread that may wrap itself around the bone and allow it to go through the system easier as you have read. You will need to keep an eye on your dog’s stools to see if the bone passes through your dogs system as well as for signs of fresh blood or mucus.

Fresh blood or mucus indicates inflammation within the large intestine which would not be unusual. Darl black or tarry looking stools indicates bleeding in the stomach or small intestines. If your dog’s stools become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. If your dog begins to vomit, has a lot of diarrhea, becomes unresponsive to you or squats without having a bowel movement then you should take him to the vet immediately as well. As long as your dog is acting normally just monitor your dog closely to be sure the bone passes through your dog's system.

In addition, bones can splinter and puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis.

The bowel movement you witnessed 10 minutes after the bone ingestion was unlikley to be related to the bone ingestion. I also want you to know that bone ingestion can lead to lighter colored fecal matter as the bone breaks down and is excreted.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jane thats helpful. He was laboring on his second movement with less result , and it was immeidately runny, and as I said he had an erection as well so it seemed like hard work. I understand the first movement unrelated, but likely second was? We keep him on a high end salmon based dog food exclusively as reccommended by his trainer, but anytime he comes in contact with meat more than a finger size, he vomits and gets diarrehea so not out of ordinary. The second stool was lighter in colour and bloodless (at that point) more movements so far. Seems normal energy level, drinking water, but wont eat the bread. Is mineral oil in his water a posisible aid to help pass? Should we increase his normal food quantity (softened with water?). We re in Bahamas, so not always easy to get vet/s on a quick response so your service is quite helpful many thanks

It takes more than a couple of hours for a bone to pass and can take as long as a few days to pass through, so I don't think the bone itself was involved with the runny bowel movements. Now if there was some spicy fatty food attached that might speed up the bowels and lead to some runny bowel movements quicker, but the bone would still likely not be involved that quickly. It would likely take at least 12 hours or more to work its way through.