Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Hi there, hope you are well, my rottie pup of 9 months had

Customer Question

Hi there, hope you are well, my rottie pup of 9 months had a racumin sachet in her month, how can we determine if we need to get her flushed out or not, not sure whether she ingested it or not, she ate last night and this morning seemed fine. Thanks and Kind Regards
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about you being worried about Bella.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

The expert you requested is not available, so I will try to help.

This stuff is really poisonous. If she ate any, she should be treated. The treatment is to take vitamin K1 for about a month. It is a prescription medication. The vitamin K you can buy over the counter is vitamin K3 and will not counter the poison in Racumin.

Another way to go would be to have a blood test to measure her blood clotting time done a day or so after she got it. This poison works by interfering with normal blood clotting, and so if her clotting time is normal, she did not eat it.

You should look at her gums to be sure they are a normal bright pink color, and that there are no tiny bruises on her gums or skin. Pale gums or bruising would be a sign that the poison is working.

If she ate it some of this in the last one to two hours you could get her to vomit it back up, but it sounds like it was longer ago than that, so there is no way to flush it out if she got any.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the good rating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, i am just worried i get the vitamin k from my vet and give it to her, but she doesn't need it.

Thanks and Kind Regards

Take care

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
The only way to tell if she needs it would be to do the blood test, to measure her clotting time.

Vitamin K is pretty safe, and giving it to her if she doesn't need it should not be harmful. It would be worse not to give it, if she does need it.

If this were my puppy, I would probably do the blood test and if the clotting time is normal, then she didn't get any or at least not enough to harm her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, we have had Bella on the vitamin K since monday night and today is acting a bit strange, gave her the pill early this morning and gave her some more food, seems to be okay again now, thanks.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update. Hope she continues to do well.