Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My ten year old dachshund got a distemper shot a week ago Saturday.

Customer Question

My ten year old dachshund got a distemper shot a week ago Saturday. He soon became lethargic, which I attributed to the vaccine. He did not want to go for walks, or jump on the furniture (which he always does). I thought it would dissipate in a few days, but here we are a week later and he is no better. He will jump down from the couch but not up and walks every slowly if we go for a walk. He did get the shot in his hip, but isn't a week a bit long for a side effect. He has not fallen or been injured in any way that I know of.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Suzanne and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Duke's problem.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. Of course clearly Duke did not have a major full blown vaccine reaction but minor vaccine reactions are possible and much more common. They usually start within several hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than four of five days. You may see discomfort and pain at the site where the vaccine was given, perhaps a mild fever and reduced appetite plus lethargy and generally fell under the weather. These dogs feel very sorry for themselves but the protection they receive via vaccination is so important.

Where a dog has a minor vaccine reaction the main way to treat them is just general support and trying to keep them eating and drinking, really this is just good nursing care. The majority of these dogs will slowly return to normal over the course of a few days.

2. So what to do in your case? : Well I agree with you that this has now been going on too long for a typical vaccine reaction so what you should do is to have your vet check Duke over again just in case he is running a temperature or some other disease process is going on. Where a prolonged minor vaccine is suspected I have known a shot of vitamin B12 return them to normal again.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again Suzanne ,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards and good luck with Duke ... ,

Scott