Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice

I gave my 11 year old lab an aspirin last night at 8 and this

I gave my 11 year old lab an aspirin last night at 8 and this morning at 8, she has an appt to have a second opinion appt on Wed. She has a nosebleed which seems to have slowed or stopped. Aspirin was for arthritis pain. I will NOT give her any more. Is there anything that would help with stopping the nosebleed?
Hello, and thanks for writing in.

You are correct in not giving any more aspirin, as this may complicate the nose bleed.
There are several possible causes for a nose bleed in an older lab like Jewel, such as a tumor, a bacterial or fungal infection, foreign material in the nasal cavity, a blood clotting disorder, low platelets, an immune system disorder where the platelets are being destroyed, rodent poison ingestion (i.e. d-con brand). It's good you are going to your veterinarian's, so they can determine the underlying cause and start specific treatment.
For now, I would recommend trying to keep Jewel as calm and quiet as possible. If the bleeding continues, you can put an ice pack or ice cubes in a hand towel, and hold it over the top of her muzzle area (sometimes this will help with bleeding in the nasal cavity). You can also put large cotton balls in the opening of the nostrils to see if that will help with the bleeding. If the bleeding continues, she may need to be seen at an ER clinic, or an on-call veterinarian for more appropriate treatment.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX encourage water or food?

You can sure offer food and water, as long as she is not distressed, and if she appears to not have any problems swallowing.

Let me know if I can help further.
Dr. Dave

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jewel. How is everything going?

Dr. Dave