Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

Please kindly inform about the correct dose of betahistine

Please kindly inform about the correct dose of betahistine for dog 6Kg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and welcome.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. This drug is generally not licensed for use in the dog and is not commonly used to treat dogs. I assume you want to use to treat vertigo or travel sickness?

2. That said studies have shown that it is very well tolerated in the dog and that prolonged high doses have not produced any side effects so clearly the chances are that it has a high margin of safety in the dog. You can see one of these studies HERE

" Repeated dose toxicity studies of six months duration in dogs and 18 months duration in albino rats revealed no clinically relevant harmful effects at dose levels in the range 2.5 to 120 mg.kg –1. "

3. As to dose rates, there are few references but for a small dog a dose rate of 1mg / kg once a day would be safe enough short term.

4. I have to say that whatever purpose you intend this drug for there would be much better and more tried alternatives.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dear Dr. Scott,

Grateful thanks for your kind and detailed reply to my inquiry!

As a matter of fact we consider to add the betahistine to a quite complex geriatric care for our mini-Schnautzer about 18 y/o (novifit, senilife, cocos cream etc) as adjuvant addressing ataxic and circling phenomena associated with her age-related condition. Anypril has been tentatively introduced for a very short time and discontinued after strong secondary effects. Might you suggest a more effective agent acting similar to the betahistine for this particular clinical case, I would be endlessly grateful to you. Dr. Klein

Hello again Dr. Klein,

Sorry to hear about your dog's condition, I know this upsetting for you but I am very glad to talk this over with you a bit further ...

1. Where there are issues with chronic symptoms such as circling and ataxia then of course the main cause would usually be neurological in some way, I assume you have tried the likes of prednisone but it made no difference?

2. In these cases a drug like betahistine could logically help just with the vertigo type component of the disease, of course in no way will this cure the condition but such drugs could make it more tolerable for your dog. Now as we said betahistine is not really suitable but something very simple like meclizine could help with the symptoms because as you know it will inhibits stimulation of the vestibular system of the brain.

A suitable starting dose rate for a small dog like your would be 10 mg once a day depending on the response. Vestibular disease is common in older dogs, and can be chronic sometimes, read more about it here : LINK

Anipryl { Selegiline } is often prescribed for dogs with " senile dementia " but where it is not suitable something like Vivitonin { Propentofylline. } may be an alternative. LINK

Please get right back to me if I can help further,

Regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Again, grateful thanks to you, dear Dr. Scott!

I will inform myself regarding your suggestions and their availability on our current market. It was a pleasure to talk to you! Dr. Klein

No problem, very glad to have advised you,

Good luck with your dog...

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Dr. Klein,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards XXXXX XXXXX luck with your little dog ... ,

Scott
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dear Dr. Scott,

Are you still available for a brief question related to our recent correspondence a few days ago?

No problem Dr. Klein,

Please go ahead ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dear Dr. Scott,

I am trying desperetely to order the Vivitonin you've suggested for my mini-Schnautzer's geriatric condition form the UK or US, as it is not available on our Israeli marketing - but all the pharmacies require local prescriptions. Might you kindly advise how could I purchase the medicine based on an Israeli prescription from my Vet, or otherwise? Is there a way to validate such prescription in the US? How could my problem be solved, except traveling with her to abroad? Grateful thanks in advance for your kindness, Dr. Klein

Hello again,

I am actually based in the Philippines which complicates things further. Let me ask about to see what can be done. I will be back in touch ASAP.

Regards,

Scott
Hello Dr Klein,

I have had looked about and have found a way you can get the drug sent to you. All you need is a written prescription from your vet which you scan and E-mail. I have put a cut and paste from the email they sent me below.

The site you can order it from is http://www.viovet.co.uk

Regards,

Scott

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Vivitonin. We would be able to despatch prescription medication as long as we received the prescription from your vet first. The prescription would have to indicate how much of the medication you are able to purchase from VioVet, furthermore the prescription could be scanned and emailed to us. The delivery options are as follows:

• Royal Mail Air Mail: £10.00 (No tracking available, usually delivered within 14 working days but delays can occur)
  • UPS Express Saver: £31.55 (Fully trackable, usually delivered within 3-5 working days)
For both delivery methods we would strongly recommend that you contacted your local customs prior to placing the order to ensure there aren't any restrictions on importing veterinary medications.

If you did want to purchase this product from VioVet, please feel free to order online. Once you have placed your order, please email the prescription to prescriptions@viovet.co.uk along with your order number quoted in the email. We would prefer for the prescription to be written in english if possible. We have attached a copy of a blank prescription form to this email, feel free to take this to your vet to fill out for you, but we would also accept one of your vets own prescriptions.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

--
Kerry Jackson
Customer Service Representative

VioVet Support: support@viovet.co.uk
Freephone: 0800(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Landline: 01582 842096
http://www.viovet.co.uk
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.