Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

What is the dose of amoxicillin for a 10 yr old basset with

What is the dose of amoxicillin for a 10 yr old basset with a UTI My vet is unavailable and I am on disability so I cannot afford the $300.00 PLUS BILL AY AN EMERGENCY CLINIC, There is no doubt in my mind this is a UTI because she has the same symptoms of a year ago after a course of Prednisone for her severe skin allergies. Thank You .m. Fox Dog's wt is 58 lbs She is urinating small amts  up to 3 to 4x per hour.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me five minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What other information do you need? Maureen

Hello again Maureen and thanks for waiting.

I am fine with the info you have given so far ... I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think.

1. Amoxycillin would be a good antibiotic to treat UTIs in the dog and is frequently used by vets for this purpose.

2. The normal dose rate for amoxycillin which a vet might use in the dog ranges from between 5 to 12 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight twice a day for a seven day period. For a UTI I personally would use a dose in the higher range, say 10 mg per pound.

For dogs weighing 58 pounds then this would equate as up to 580 mg twice a day.

3. Of course if Daisy does not quickly respond to antibiotics or deteriorates in any way then you should have a vet check her over without delay in any case.

4. Where I give clients information on drugs and dose rates I always try and provide a link so that they can check the accuracy of what I have said and check any contraindications etc.LINK.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have still not rec'd any answer CREDIT MY CHARGE CARD NOW I AM HEADING TO THE VET [email protected]
Hello again Maureen, Posted your answer some ten minutes ago, here it is again ...

Regards
Hello again Maureen,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards and good luck with Daisy ... ,

Scott