Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We have a dog, 5.3 pounds, rat terrier, 5 or 6 years old. The

We have a dog, 5.3 pounds, rat terrier, 5 or 6 years old. The vet has prescribed fluoxetine for his anxiety, but they prescribed 1/4 of a 10mg tablet. To do 1/2 is really easy, but when cutting such a tiny tablet into fourths, he usually ends up getting close to 1/2 a pill in some doses and the other piece disintegrates into nothing. Would 5mg of fluoxetine hurt him?

He has been on the medication now for one month. I know it takes quite a while for the medication to make a difference in dogs, but we have seen no change in him whatsoever on the 2.5mg dose. Should we ask the vet to increase it to 5mg, thus making it easier to regulate the actual amount and also to hopefully have some effect on him? Splitting these little tiny pills is REALLY difficult! I'm afraid he's getting too much some days and not enough others, or we just have to throw away the part that disintegrates in the splitter.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!

Hello again David and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. At the end of the day you should always follow your vet's directions because he or she will have examined Bob and will have very good reasons for the dose rate they suggested. However it would be well worth talking to you vet about a possible increased dose rate.

2. That said as a general question I would very much doubt if raising the dose rate to half a tablet { 5 mg } would have much effect because a reasonable dose rate for fluoxetine in the dog is between 0.5 and 1 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given once a day orally. So the top dose for a 5.3 pound dog would be 5.3 mg.

3. You can reference this website for additional information on the topic. : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again David,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Bob is getting on.

How are things going with him at present?

Regards,

Scott