Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a 4 month old German shepherd hound

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a 4 month old German shepherd hound mix. He eats fine and plays with my other puppy but when it's time to poop he is not happy. He goes out and poops a normal amount but then strains and liquid drops come out. We took him to the vet they said take him off iams puppy diet could this be only from the food?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long has this been going on?

Does his feces come out thin...like a pencil?

Does he get bones, rawhides or people food?

Does he eat/chew up his toys or other non-food items?

Did they check him for parasites?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Well we just rescued him about 5 days ago and that's when we noticed it at first his stool is large and solid then he starts to strain. He doesn't get bones and he had been test and it came back negative

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for answering my questions.

Becuase he was tested for parasites and came back negative, that's a good thing. Also, it is possible that this is being caused by the food he was eating, so switching him is a good plan.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring loose or 'unusual' stool. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his new kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in his stool or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or possible intestinal obstruction from eating something unusual before you got him.

I hope this helps!!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

His stool is solid at first its afterward s he begins to strain and squats for a while. It started off with like 4 or 5 times a walk now its down to one long squatting session

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
I understand, and it does still sound like digestive upset...possibly from the stress of a new home or the diet. I really think that if we just him that bland diet for a few days and just give him a little time to adjust to his new home, and things will clear up.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification