Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

my dog always has something going on with his ear :( his vet

Customer Question

my dog always has something going on with his ear :( his vet has seen him 4 times. Vet has sent off for culture,came back with that he had an abundant fungus, gave him antibotics. Vet has gave me ear cleaner with animax ointment. Vet has cleaned out all hair. He still scratches til he whines and shakes his head HELP
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

I am sorry to hear that DJ is not doing well.

Dr. G :

First a few questions: How long have you been treating the ear with the animax ointment? How often are you using the animax ointment? How often are you cleaning the ears with the ear cleaner? Has this happened many times in the past? Is your dog on any oral medications? Is your dog on monthly flea prevention?

Customer:

about 6 months. animax has been given twice. treatment 1 time a day for a week. clean the ear daily before the animax. happens quite a bit , seems as though his ear is always bothering him he was prescribed an oral antibotic im sorry i dont remember he took that for 10 days. no on flea medication he does not scratch except his ear

Dr. G :

I see. Any licking at the paws? Has your vet given any oral steroids (prednisone) or oral antihistamines?

Customer:

yes constant chewing at his paws and licking

Customer:

no to oral steroids or oral antihistamies

Dr. G :

I see. It sounds like you have a dog that has developed skin allergies. Ears and paws are the hallmark signs of allergies. Allergies cause itchy skin and a breakdown in the normal skin barrier. The breakdown in this skin barrier along with self trauma from licking and chewing allows for secondary yeast and bacterial infections, which make the skin even more itchy. Allergies can be caused by 3 different things: fleas, diet, or inhaled allergens in the environment. It will take time and patience for the diagnosis and treatment. Fleas are an obvious diagnosis and will require monthly flea prevention (which is ideal anyway). Food allergy is typically due to the protein in the diet (most often chicken) and will require an 8 week food trial using a prescription diet (not diets from the pet store) and no other food or flavored treats/medications. The best diet to use is IAMS Veterinary Kangaroo and Oat (KO) as there are no commercial diets with kangaroo in them so if your dog has a food allergy they will not react to this diet. The environmental allergens can be treated symptomatically with steroids and antibiotics, and long term with antihistamines, corticosteroids, a medication called Atopica (very expensive and takes a month to work fully), or via allergy testing and allergy vaccines (takes 12 months to work). Benadryl can sometimes help (1mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours), but if she has enough trauma, she will likely need a short course of steroids and some topical antibiotics/antifungals to take care of the secondary infection present (such as the animax). I would start with benadryl for now. If your vet is not comfortable diagnosing allergies, sometimes you need to head for a second opinion with a dermatologist.

Dr. G :

I would start her up on benadryl now to help calm his symptoms, but he really likely needs a course of steroids to help right now

Dr. G :

I apologize for saying her/she, i realize he is a boy

Customer:

Thank you this is a start i will will discuss with his vet. i have 3 other dogs that present no types of problems with scratching or chewing or licking. I hope this will help him

Dr. G :

You're very welcome.

I wish you the best with DJ. Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great weekend!

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.
Hi Suzie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dj. How is everything going?

Dr. G
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Your advice was taken . Please no more help is needed. Please stop e-mails.