Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

sudden acute hip pain in 12yr lab mix

sudden acute hip pain in 12yr lab mix
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Jax.
Understood. Not sure if "low" doses is appropriate. Most of the time, I have found nearly all of the non-steoridal anti-inflammatories do not work as good unless at their correct doses.

I have also found out that not all pets respond to the same anti-inflammatory drug, so sometimes, it can be worth trying some different.

Either way, clearly Jax is going to need to some additional assistance with orthopedic problems. He may have also exacerbated some of the arthritis with some other soft tissue injury like an accidental twist or fall.

So, below, I will mention all of the most popular drugs, including good pain medications to ADD to previcox, and some of the best joint support product recommendations to start immediately.

A few common medications prescribed by vets (not all options,but many of the most common choices): NSAIDS,
Rimadyl
Deramaxx
Metacam
Pain Control
Tramadol
Gabapentin

Supplements:
Currently, one of my favorite joint support supplements on the market is Dasuquin or Cosequin. Here is some more information about it. Many veterinarians and clients have observed that after a few months on a quality joint support product, they can often reduce the dose of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications there pets may already be taking. A supplement can take several weeks to observe benefit, so it is important additional anti-inflammatory or pain medications are used in the meantime.
Product Information about Dasuquin / Cosequin
Also, an incredible clinically tested food to help with joint problems is J/D.
J/D Diet
Another supplement to review would be Adequan injections for joint health. These injections are also quite popular and have helped many pets with arthritic disease.
Adequan injections

Remember, don't try to give anything over the counter. Nothing. Because drugs like ibuprofen, aleve, aspirin or tylenol will react very poorly with the previcox.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response. He is also on a joint supplement. He was his normal self until mid morning and then started crying continuously - I was in the other room so I didn't see what if anything happened. Since then he cries when he moves while lying down, tries to get up or lay down. I've gotten him out twice to pee, and he could barely make the low step, and also would trot with short steps as opposed to walking.

Because he is in alot of pain, and because this condition far exceeds his "normal" 12 yr old state, I guess what I am trying to figure out if he needs to go to the emergency vet or if I can wait until monday to go to his regular vet. Any advice there would be helpful.

Absolutely, I vote for the emergency vet visit. To have that much difficulty when moving just a bit from lying down position is a red flag. Too much sensitivity. Well worth getting improved supportive treatment sooner. Monday is a long time.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything you can recommend that I can do to ease his pain until Monday? I am really short of money and the e-vets in my area are so expensive. I

Zero.
Not when already on previcox, which is already safer and more effective than anything over the counter.

He would really need a drug like Tramadol to complement the previcox.

Even if e-vets expensive, just get in for at least the exam and medications. You don't have to do any testing if you don't want.