Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My labrador is 11 years old. During the hot weather she completely

My labrador is 11 years old. During the hot weather she completely lost her appetite (regained now but with a complete change of food) and I have noticed her hair is breaking off on her back. She is not scratching.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Daisy is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long has this been going on?

How is her weight?

When was she last seen by a vet for blood work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since the end of July, she did not eat anything and consequently her weight just dropped off. Over the last week I have changed her diet completely (from dry food to tinned dog food with bread and biscuits) and her appetite has returned. Now her hair is breaking off from her back, it looks as if it has been cut off with scissors, there is no irritation. She was seen a year ago as she had hormonal problems.

Can you tell me what type of hormonal problems she was seen for and what if any treatment was done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I don't know what was diagnosed, but she had scabs under her jaw and on her back legs and an ear infection. She was treated with 2 courses of antibiotics and made a full recovery.

Thank you for the additional information.

In this breed when we hear that the hair is breaking off and there is no scratching then the first thing we normally recommend is having blood work to check the thyroid. Hypothyroidism is a very common problem in this breed and this can cause poor hair coat and breaking of the hair,this could explain the previous skin condition as well. Click here for more on hypothyroidism

As for the appetite if she is doing better with canned food then I would want to have a good dental exam done to be sure that she was not having pain when eating the dry food and that is what caused her to stop eating.

I would start with having her seen by your vet for some blood work. Most vets can do the thyroid test in the office so you can know right away if this could possibly be the problem. The vet will also be able to do a good dental exam at the same time.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?