Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

we have an older female dog who was spayed (laser) four years

we have an older female dog who was spayed (laser) four years ago and now she has a large hard tumor on lower abdomen. Her one leg is edematous. The vet said she was too old for surgery. Is there anything else we can do? She is eating, drinking, no problems with bladder or bowels. Does NOT seem to be in pain.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is the lump painful to her?

Has your vet done a biopsy to find out what kind of tumor it is?

Does she have any other health issues?

Is she on any medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no to biopsy. She does NOT have pain. She did stay in a kennel 2 months ago and developed diarrhea which she was on an antibiotic for. (All three of dogs stayed in kennel and had diarrhea, Gravy had severe diarrhea and stopped eating.)

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

While I've been typing to you, I made a quick phone call to a vet that I used to work with that specialized in orthopedic issues just to make sure I was on the right track with my thinking. She agreed that localized edema in a singular area can be the result of injury, burns, obstructions in an artery due to something like a blood clot or even cardiac issues, but that it's unlikely that the edema in that leg is caused by the tumor in her abdomen.

When it comes to your next step, my thought is that you have a FNA (fine needle aspirate) done to test the fluid in the area. This involves taking a needle and syringe and drawing off some of the fluid in the lump and then looking at it under the microscope.

Hopefully this will tell your vets (and you!) what is going on in that area. I'd also suggest x-rays and perhaps a full cardiac work up to make sure it's not the heart that is causing this problem. At the very least, you could ask your vet about sending out medication such as Lasix to help get rid of that edema and help her feel a bit better.

I hope this helps.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome Melody.

Please do me a favor...even after you rate/accept my answer, please let me know how she does.