Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Works at a tertiary referral center with specialists. Excellent client communicator. Compassionate animal lover.
74509961

hello my dog has just had her third eyelid stitched as treatment

hello my dog has just had her third eyelid stitched as treatment for a puncture wound to her eye caused by another dog. i have been told that the puncture goes through the eye and has been plugged by the iris which is now bulging on the outside of the eye. what are the chances of the eye being saved.

Dr. CMar :

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian here to try and help answer your questions.

Dr. CMar :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. CMar :

I am sorry we were unable to connect today. I will check back in later to see if I can answer your questions.

Customer:

yes had trouble logging in so yes would like to chat please as very worried

Dr. CMar :

Hello

Dr. CMar :

it is very serious when the eyeball itself if punctured.

Dr. CMar :

did you see an opthalmologist? or did your regular vet stitch up the third eyelid?

Customer:

hello

Dr. CMar :

hello. I am sorry we are having difficulty chatting

Customer:

yes my vet has stitched the third eyelid and he said that the injury is worse than he thought. The eyeball has been punctured throught he layers and the iris has plugged the hole. I am not sure what to do now. He wants to refer me an eye specialist but he said the chances of saving the eye even with surgery is very slim is that true.

Customer:

He said that it will have to wait until monday to see a specialist as they dont work at weekend but I am panicking about my dog.

Dr. CMar :

I agree; however, if you want to attempt to save vision in that eye then you need to see a veterinary ophthalmologist. this is considered an emergency, and the longer you wait, the poorer the prognosis for the eye.

Dr. CMar :

if the retina is still attached, then he might still be able to see following surgery, but probably won't be very clear, but good enough for a dog.

Customer:

How can I see one straightaway if they dont work at weekends where do I go

Dr. CMar :

the problem is infection... as the eye is now open to the world which it is normally kept from.

Dr. CMar :

is there an emergency practice near you that has an opthalmologist

Dr. CMar :

or are you close to the Royal Veterinary College

Dr. CMar :

usually the vet schools you can go in through the emergency department, and they can call in the ophthalmologist on call

Customer:

I have been trying to find one but they dont seem to want to work until monday. Do you think if I call the RVC they will see her right away?

Dr. CMar :

I am a veterinarian in the US, but the veterinary colleges here always have an ophthalmologist on call for emergency situations like this.

Dr. CMar :

I would call

Customer:

ok I will try there should be an emergency service shouldnt there?

Dr. CMar :

and take her to the emergency service there... usually because it is a teaching hospital the residents are on call 24/7 and for emergency situations like this they often come in

Dr. CMar :

yes... there should be an emergency service there

Dr. CMar :

otherwise, did you vet give you antiboitic drops for the eye?

Customer:

thank you I will try that. Is that the only college for this treatment.

Customer:

Yes the vet gave me anibiotic drops

Customer:

chloramphenicol 0.5%

Dr. CMar :

any ophthalmologist can perform the necessary surgery... but I think your best shot at getting an emergency surgery is with the vet school

Dr. CMar :

that's a good antibiotic. is she on pain meds?

Customer:

She is on painkiller, she has had one today for surgery and I have been given loxicom 1.5mg/ml dose once a day but she is still whimpering and seems in alot of pain dosing for 4kg body weight

Dr. CMar :

yes. this can often times be very painful. the meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory medication. she may need something in addition to that, such as tramadol or buprenorphine. your vet could get you these as well.

Customer:

thank you I have just phoned the RVC and they said they can see her this weekend but my vet needs to refer us so I am just calling my vet in the hope that he will do that instead of waiting until Monday.

Dr. CMar :

that's great!! I'm sure your vet will refer you. we all want to save Lucy's eye.

Customer:

Yes he is refering me now. Thank you so much

Dr. CMar :

You are very welcome. Good luck!!