Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Our dog ate a dead baby bunny and then within an hour she ate

Our dog ate a dead baby bunny and then within an hour she ate a dead mouse. Is there something we should do to induce vomiting to clear it out of her stomach?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I know this isn't something that an owner wants to see their dog do. The good news is that this shouldn't be that concerning of a situation. If my own dog was to eat the same things, I wouldn't induce vomiting. The reason I don't induce vomiting is that these things should be digestible and not really cause any great stomach upset. Thousands of years ago before man really domesticating the dog, the eating of mice and bunnies by them was pretty common. A lot of dogs do this every day now to their owners dismay and they don't have issues. I would just let her have plenty of water to drink.
Hi Scott,

I'm following up to see how Zoey is doing today. I'm hoping she's doing well. I'm looking forward to getting an update on her!