Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a 10.5 year old female mix. good size about 85 pounds.

I have a 10.5 year old female mix. good size about 85 pounds. at vet today they found a heart murmur. graded 2-3. had xrays and heart and lungs look very good and normal. no coughing etc. vet suggests a watch and wait approach. what do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Sara has you worried.

A heart murmur in a senior dog is not uncommon and a watch and wait would not be unreasonable. The only concern is that while an x rays can tell us things like if the heart is enlarged it can not tell us the exact location of the turbulence that has caused the murmur to develop.

If you want to be sure exactly what is going on and if this is the est approach for Sara then it would be best to consult with a cardiologist and have an echocardiogram done. This is an ultrasound of the heart that allows the cardiologist to see the heart beating and find the location of the murmur.

As long as she is not having any symptoms then I do not think this is something you have to do right away but it is something I would do in the near future. Here is some good information on heart murmurs LINK

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is strange is she was at vet for her bi-annual checkup and murmur was missed. had her in today because she hurt her leg and a different vet caught it. is that normal?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is not uncommon at all. Something as simple as a dog being excited, stressed or panting can make it difficult to catch a murmur at a low grade.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

only thing I have notice is she seems to pant a little more. but that has been something I noticed a while ago and vet has said that is normal as a dog ages. and she appears to be healthy. of course my biggest problem is I went to web right away after getting home from vet and some sites had her in her grave in 6 weeks etc. i am going to go with your suggestion. anything else you can add?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Panting is common as they age but often it is due to decreased heart function. THe web can be full of good information and misleading information at the same time so I would not be to worried about that. Even dogs that ave symptoms and are in congestive heart failure normally live much longer then 6 weeks with medication. While I know a heart murmur can be scary this is a lower grade so it was caught early and will allow you and your vet to monitor for any problems.
I really think getting the echo will give you more piece of mind since you will then have more information on exactly what is going on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you have been great. my last question is I noticed a site that offers so holistic supplement. great reviews all pretty much 5 out of 5 on how it was like night to day after taking. find it hard to believe. I go to a very good animal hospital and feel their advice is probably much more reliable than someone trying to sell their product. do you agree?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Yes I agree. Some supplements can be very beneficial but I always recommend that you work with a holistic vet so they have the full medical history. Even natural supplements can have serious side effects if dosed incorrectly or if a dog has other medical conditions etc. I also tell people to always remember that you have no idea who is actually writing a review and there are even people that get paid to write reviews in some cases
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sara. How is everything going?

Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything seems to be better than expected. I had a echo done this past Monday. She actually has a minor aortic stenosis. Must of been missed all these years. Cardiologist has given her no limitations on diet or exercise. And no medication. Her heart looked great, size, the valves etc. Her lost of blood flow is a 2 I think measured in ml ??? which is considered low and since that low after 10 1/2 yrs I'm glad I went with the echo instead of just a wait and see.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I am glad you went ahead and had additional testing done so you know exactly what is going on. I am also glad to hear that this is minor and she has no limitation.She is very lucky to have someone that lover her so much.

Thank you for the update
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The one thing I didn't mention before was she has been having issues hurting her legs for a while now. The right front usually. That's how we found the murmur she was in getting leg checked. That is why I never walk her off lease even at camp to avoid her hurting it. This past week lt her off and running she hurt it. I do still think she seems to pant more then she should. But her senior blood work was good, lungs clear and normal on xray and echo as well as heart. And the vet eyeball test is 'she looks great' Water intake pretty much normal and not peeing and more than normal. Still loves to eat... She also seems to have a tough time getting comfort at times. But the vets are chalking that up to be due more to her soreness in her legs. she does receive low grade cold laser therapy every other week . any thoughts?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
This could be due to arthritis. If she is not on a Glucosamin supplement as well as an omega fatty acid supplement I would suggest this. One that we have found that works great and is available in some pet stores is Synovi G3 this is a combination of the two. Click here

It may also be beneficial to have her tested for Lyme disease. IN dogs the most common symptom is intermittent lameness in the front legs. THis can appear months to years after exposure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I gave that some thought but I guess the heart worm test they use also tests for lyme disease. She still walks a couple hours a day usually. For example an hour this morning and will walk a couple more times today. They did find some arthritis in that right shoulder.The tough part is with dogs its hard to compare to say a year ago because 10 1/2 is a lot diffrrent then 9 and 1/2

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to hear they did a combo test for the Lyme. If there was arthritis noted then I would try the Synovi G3 to start and see if you notice improvement after 3 weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I am going to call vet Monday to make SURE the test was given. Now im on to Cushing disease lol

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. If there has been no increase in drinking and or urinating, she does not have a pot belly and the ALKP was not elevated on blood work then I would not be concerned about Cushings.Actually in this breed especially females we see the opposite which is Addisons much more often but normally at a younger age I would however make sure they did a thyroid test.