Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

I have a husky shepherd mix who had a cyst on her neck that

I have a husky shepherd mix who had a cyst on her neck that had popped about 8 months ago. It has come back it also has a bad odor. Can we clean it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

Is the cyst open now?

Has a Vet looked at the cyst?

Has your dog been on any medication like an antibiotic for the cyst?

Does it seem to have a bloody discharge, cheesy discharge, or just draining?

Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

She was looked at back in December and given antibiotics. Im not sure if it is open it looks black and seems dry. She has a lot of fur and they had shaved around it to clean it but it made her fur black.

Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

Thank-you for the information. Right now you will want to trim the hair back away from the area. Once that is done some nice warm compresses with warm water and a little Blue Dawn Dish Soap to clean the area where you can get a better look at it. Once it is cleaned, you can use some Diluted Betadine and warm water to clean and irrigate the area. If it is open, you can apply some Neosporin to help with any infection. This should help with the smell and allow you to get a better look. There are quite a few types of cysts and since this is looking black and smells it really should be looked at again by your Vet. The Vet may opt to remove the cycst. At minimum, they may do a fine needle aspirate where they pull cells from the area to see exactly what your dog is dealing with and then decide if a surgical removal or because of her age an antibiotic is the best option to help your girl. This is some information on Cysts: http://mypeted.com/pet-health/articles/cysts-on-dogs-and-cats/ Please let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to continue with you until you feel you have gotten Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

what could black and smelly mean? She is going to be 15 Dec. 8 I dont think I am looking to put her through too much at this point in her life. What would your opinion be?

Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

I suspect that there may be an infection in the area or some necrotic (dead) tissue(which would be the black color). I would opt for having her looked at and seeing if the Vet will clean the area, give an Antibiotic and some pain medication to make her more comfortable. I would not put her through too much at her age. I would just make sure that if it is an infection, that it does not spread and some pain medication to help her feel more comfortable if it bothers her. At 15 she deserves to be pain free and enjoy her time with her human family. Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Joan

Thank you. I brought her to the doctor on Saturday, it was infected and she is now taking antibiotics.
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.
I am glad it is being treated and getting better. Joan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you again for all your help.

Gina