Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  9 years clinical experience. Own and operate a mixed animal practice.

With Adequan being out of stock everywhere, my Lab who responded

With Adequan being out of stock everywhere, my Lab who responded well to his 1st injection last week and is also on Rimadyl is out of luck. Would acetyl-d-glucosamine injections work for him? The wait on Adequan will be significant. I spoke with Novartis today and they won't even be shipping until first of September. Thank you.

Dr. Larson :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. By all reports I have received from compounding pharmacy's I have spoken with, the acetyl-d-glucosamine is a suitable substitute for Adequan and it does work as well. Buster should respond well to this medication as a substitute.

Thank you! I will relay this immediately to our vet and get it ordered for him.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buster. How is everything going?

Dr. Larson
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We finally got the compounded acetyl-d-glucosamine yesterday and I gave him his first injection last night. He seemed OK--he did not respond quite as well as to the Adequan but that was to be expected. Our vet said it may take 2 or 3 injections of the acetyl-d-glucosamine to do what one Adequan can accomplish. So now we wait and see. I am still hoping to go back to the Adequan once they get the FDA to approve their building/changes to manufacturing. They are ready to go but the FDA is dragging their feet, no surprise about that. I am thinking that the equine industry, i.e. race horse owners, will be sitting on the head of some congressman/senator to shove the FDA to get this done. Why on earth they totally shut down the only manufacturer of a well-accepted and needed drug is beyond me. But I have long since given up on trying to figure out the Federal Government! Thanks again for your advice. I will keep you updated--injections are once every 4 full days.

I'm glad to hear that all is going well.