Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

what areas can I take a blood sample for a blood sugars test

what areas can I take a blood sample for a blood sugars test for my dog? I have tried several times from his foot just above the claw, but cant get enough for a sample on my test strip.. Any other areas that I can try?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having some trouble getting blood for a glucose sample.

There are several areas tat you can use to test.

* The lip. outside inside or edge of the upper lip works well. This may sound painful but dogs actually have very few nerves in that area.

* Base of the tail. Shave a small area so the blood does not run in the hair. Some owners will apply a dab of Vaseline on the shaved area which helps the blood to bead rather then run.

* Edge of the ear

* Paw pad ( though this seems to be a more painful place to get a sample but works well)

The links below may be helpful as well.

Lip-stick
Tail stick

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Got blood from ear, but not enough, so tried lip & bingo, got good sample & even better, his reading was Ok, only 12, so happy with that. Thanks so much.

Yay I am glad it worked. I am a huge fan of using the lip since it always works well. I am also glad to hear the glucose levels are good as well.

Please remember to provide a rating for my service before exiting the site