Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 6yr old schnoodle has been sounding congested and for the

My 6yr old schnoodle has been sounding congested and for the last two days I have noticed a smell of vomit. He ate well but this am he does not want to eat. Even his food or snack which I have offered to him. He is current on all hismeds and vaccinations. Can you suggest what this could be?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Oscar Lee is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Can you tell me when e last passed stool and if it was normal?

Does he ever eat things he should not such as toys. clothing, rawhides etc?

You mention he ate well this morning was he able to keep it down?

What color are his gums?

Any chance he got into anything toxic?

Any recent change in his diet including new foods, treats or human foods?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type up your answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oscar did not eat today ! He may have gone this morning but the last time I saw stool it looked normal and was yesterday.

He may have gotten into something but does not normally eat toys etc. He did have a piece of our pork chop last night and seemed fine. This has been happening with the vomit smell in the morning. Probably the worse today.

His gums are. dark pink.

I apologize I misread your question and thought he had eaten this morning.

Vomiting and loss of appetite can be due to many things and trying to narrow it down on these symptoms alone would be impossible.
Some of the more common reasons for this are
* Dietary indiscretion - eating something they should not have that results in problems such as pancreatitis or objects that are to large to pass resulting in a blockage
* Toxic ingestion
* Changes in diet
* Vomiting in the AM can happen due to acid build up especially in small dogs from the stomach being empty for to long
* Intestinal parasites or bacterial infection
* problems with the liver or kidneys

In the future I would avoid any type of pork as this is a common cause of pancreatitis in dogs.

What I would suggest today is giving Pepcid AC to reduce stomach acid and nausea and then offer some food in 1 hour. Pepcid AC is dosed at 0.5 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours.

One hour after the Pepcid I would offer a bland diet of either boiled chicken and rice or boiled hamburger and rice. The meat must be boiled and then rinsed to remove all fat . Feed in small meals ( a few spoonfuls ) several times per day.

If he does not eat after the Pepcid and continues to vomit ten you will want to have him seen by the vet for a hands on exam.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be apply to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oscar finally took pill crushed in spoon fullof plain yougart. Will try food in one hour and let you know. He is drinking water and is following me from room to roombut looks sad and lies down more then usual. If this is poison wouldn't he be vomiting? I will take to our vet if he doesn't eat but I would prefer waiting so I really hope this works. Than you.

I am glad you were able to get the medication in him. If poison it would depend on what type some make them vomit others cause damage to the liver and or kidneys which can cause some vomiting, loss of appetite etc.

Please let me know how he is doing later today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oscar has had a normal stool movemen since he had the med. He also vomited a mixture of mucus and yellow stuff I saved some in a clean small bagin as I need to bring to my vet.

Then he seemed to cheer up. He ran around yard drank some water. I fed him some food . I am hoping that when he digests that he will not feel sick again. I will let you know!Thank you!