Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My dog is a 7 year old Snoodle. She weighs 15.6 pounds, is

My dog is a 7 year old Snoodle. She weighs 15.6 pounds, is very active and energetic. Yesterday she ran chasing her ball for 45 minutes, came home rested out in the yard for an hour and then started to shake, which she never does. I held her and immediately went to the vet. Her temp was low--99.6 degrees but shaking had stopped. He could find nothing.

She was quiet, almost listless but couldn't jump up on the bed. Today she is very quiet, went for a good walk, ate her dinner but still can not jump up into the car, onto the couch and she is strangely inactive and listless. Doesn't even bark at dogs coming into the yard. She has been incredibly healthy-- no problems at all for all these years.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear about Tara's problem ...

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. Did your vet run any diagnostic tests of any sort?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, Scott, he didn't. He said that if she didn't improve, he would run blood tests and X-rays.

But I am just concerned as I can't understand what could be causing this to a dog always so healthy.

Hello again Onnolee and thanks for the quick reply,

I know this must be a big worry for you but I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. What could be going on? : Unfortunately we can only speculate as to a precise cause based on what we know so far. One thing strikes me though, dark coloured faeces can be a sign of bleeding into the alimentary tract. This can be caused by something simple such as an infection, colitis { diarrhoea? } but also consider toxins, and more serious diagnosis. Again difficult to pin this down but sudden onset dark coloured faeces are always a cause for concern. Combine this with sudden onset lethargy and shaking then you are right to be worried.

2. What to do about it? : Unfortunately there is nothing you can do here on a home remedy basis to help Tara so all you can do is to get her back to the vet at the first opportunity for further tests. A quick blood test { white cell count } will help differentiate between an infection and other possibilities and checking the red blood cell count will give you an idea if internal bleeding is a factor. That would be my starting point and then follow on blood tests and X-rays if indicated will help lead your vet towards a diagnosis.

Sorry I cannot suggest anything more you can do right now other than just keeping her calm, comfortable and reassured until you can get her to the vet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.