Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog start vomiting since I came home at 4:30 pm. At first

My dog start vomiting since I came home at 4:30 pm. At first it's look like a yellowish phlegm, but not a lot. Then after that it turn to liquid. But he seems look fine and playful. But he there up a lot. Then after that he lay down. I took his food ,drink away. Please advise. Is this normal?And its been almost an hour now, and he did not throw up yet. My poor baby... :(

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is there any chance Frank got into something he shouldn't have today?

Does he get bones, rawhides, or people food?

Is his belly hard to the touch, or does it seem like it hurts him if you press on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he seems okay, his belly is not hard nor hurting. Should i wait to give hime food and water? It has been an hour now and throwing up. And he is been chewing his toys ,bones. We never give him no rawhide. But since yesterday we gave him.cosequin a joinhealth supplement.

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

The gold standard for treatment of vomiting in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble. Since it's unlikely that Frank got into anything unsuual, I think he's probably just got a run-of-the mill upset tummy.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the vomit or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection.

I hope this helps!!
Hi Annr,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Frank. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much.. I followed your advise, Frank is feeling better the next day. Yes he fast 24 hours.

I'm happy to hear that!!